What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a new Ceph!

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to show my first Cephalotus follicularis. Its very cute and one inch across.

Umm, I've read the savage garden, but would like tips from you guys, what works for you? how wet do you keep the media etc.

Plus unfortunately I noticed some of the pitchers are blackening at the pristome, is this normal after being put in my conditions? It came potted up. Will is comeback if it loses all its pitchers?

DSC01722.jpg

Thanks in advanced.

its adjusting its normal. older pitchers die off anyway. it looks a little too wet. Let it dry out a bit before you water it again next. and id use a tray for it, since it doesnt like having its crown wet....though the crown on mine gets wet alot hahahha.

I'm using the taller african violet self watering pots, I let the outer container completely dry out before adding more water. So far so good.

Some pitchers die, once they turn black I gently pull on the decaying picture to remove it. It usually takes a month or so for it to rot enough to be removed without distrubing the plant. I just don't like cutting them off, no real reason just don't like it.

Nice looking Ceph there, hope it likes you.

I read that the soil needs to be kept damp, not wet. Cephalotus tends to rot easily, so keep very little water in the watertray.

Keep it dryer, as the others have said. Die back on cephs is VERY normal...

I'm never worried about it unless everything is dying back. If you have 1 good pitcher or the tip looks alright, you're good.

Thanks guys, the previous owner watered it well before sending it to me, i haven't watered it since I got it. Thanks again!

Or, you know, not use a tray like I do...

I just wait until the top soil is dry enough that it's slightly loose.

OH NOOOOOOOOO, All the pitcher died back :( but the growth point is still green, will it survive :(

OH NOOOOOOOOO, All the pitcher died back :( but the growth point is still green, will it survive :(

It should survive but back off on the watering. Most failures with this plant come from keeping it far too wet and inviting diseases and pests in the process . . .

It shall survive!

I water how cap suggested with my mother plant. However, I started using the shallow tray method on the divisions I recently made. So far so good.

Good luck

OK I haven`t watered it since I got it, the mediais still moist, thanks guys, i really hope it makes it.

Back