Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "Bugweed Method" of Sarracenia seedling growing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing the results of a specific growing method. Always good to know how things work out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    The most dramatic was after the first time I feed them fruit flies.

The problem with fruit flies is that there is no way make sure all the plants get feed.
    So, I'm assuming that your methodology was to introduce a large number of WFFs into the container & allow them to find the pitchers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Foliar feeding with a liquid fertilizer is probably the best bet.
    Assuming the other downsides of this method are acceptable .....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    So, I'm assuming that your methodology was to introduce a large number of WFFs into the container & allow them to find the pitchers?
    Correct, I would transfer the pots into another seed tray, fill with some water and just sprinkle the live flies on to the pots. A large percentage of the flies would climb to the tops of the pitchers and try to "fly" away and end up in the tray.

Those I would let climb up on a bamboo skewer and resprinkle on the plants or try to drop them into pitchers (when the plants were large enough).

Otherwise it was completely random as to which plants in the pot would catch prey. Individual potting of the plants would probably help to solve this problem.

Then you would still have the problem of untrapped flies. For days after I would still find flies sitting on top of pitchers, floating in the tray or crawling around on the plant shelf. Since there were no food sources available I wasn't worried about population wandering loose in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Assuming the other downsides of this method are acceptable .....
    Right, having not used this method I don't know what the minuses are. Flytraplady5 fogs her greenhouse plants (all genera) with fertilizer solution so perhaps she can fill us in on the regard.

If one is intent on mass propagation through this method one needs to find a less labor intensive method to feed the plants or just accept the wastage and randomness of feeding by fruit flies. And fruit flies can only be used when the plants are large enough to trap them.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now they're outside they should get a good feed though.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm convinced! Never would have though 24/7 would be good in the long run, but....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wingless fruit flies are a good alternative if you don't want them flying around the house. They can be purchased from a specialty place, but Petco etc. often sells them now. You can order special media to raise them on, just adding the right amount of water. I have had as good luck raising them on moistened oatmeal (fruit flies, not Sarracenia!), of all things. Well, I used to raise them........wife aint too happy about it so I don't anymore. That is ok, as it is a small sacrifice for all the benefits of a good marriage partner!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12