What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Propagation via its Flower Stalk?

I've seen it on several pygmy sundews in my collection too, was really surprised to see it with the Ceph especially considering the "instant adult pitchers" :D

I'll PM you a link to that pic too

I once had a flower stalk as well. I cut it off and stuck it in substrate. At the Bracht of the flower stalk where those non-carnivorous leaves appear, a pitcher popped up. But I didn't look after it and it died after a while. I think you should yield some interesting results, the challenge will be to keep it alive after that.

It's been a couple of weeks, any updates on the experiment??

Takes more than that, doesn't it? :-O

My cuttings take several months to strike...

It's been a couple of weeks, any updates on the experiment??

It has been close to a month for some of the flower stalk cuttings (the first batch were taken 5 May) and they're all looking good, with no loss of color or vigor; though there have been no strikes to date. Conventional leaf cuttings range from a few weeks to months -- even a year in one case -- to callus or root. We'll see. It even appears that one of the flower stalks has continued to grow a bit, since it was planted. Go figure . . .

I'll keep you all apprised . . .

Anything yet david?
and what happens to the leaves when they callus? im so confused and lost...both of my pullings have callused over from the looks..what next? hahaha

Not yet . . .

Everything remains green and vital looking since late May, so I am hopeful.

The callus is a sort of mass of undifferentiated tissue at the point of the cut leaf; eventually either roots or leaves form, one after the other . . .

Ahhhh i see, thanks for the info david :)
i hope you get something from this :)

Any callus development or anything??

Everything still looks OK but I haven't removed anything from the pots . . .

Good to hear david, one of my pullings went all squishy when i pulled some moss away that had overgrown it >_< oh well, ive got the leaf pulling still, it was the pitcherpulling, go figure.

Success!

Today, I just had to uproot one of the several Cephalotus flower stalks (and stalk segments) that I had planted at the close of May and just see what was happening -- if anything at all. What I was pleased to discover was a tiny net of filamentous white roots erupting from its base.

The method works . . .

Very cool.

Thanks for conducting the test.

Success!

Today, I just had to uproot one of the several Cephalotus flower stalks (and stalk segments) that I had planted at the close of May and just see what was happening -- if anything at all. What I was pleased to discover was a tiny net of filamentous white roots erupting from its base.

The method works . . .

Pictures! Show us pictures!

finally!! That's quite the success story, I had a feeling it would work from other things I've seen Cephs do, but having solid proof is very cool, and you will have more experimental subjects to play with!!
Thanks for the report, I've been thinking about this since you started out on it!!

finally!! That's quite the success story, I had a feeling it would work from other things I've seen Cephs do, but having solid proof is very cool, and you will have more experimental subjects to play with!!
Thanks for the report, I've been thinking about this since you started out on it!!

Thanks . . .

I planted several stalks and segments back in May / June and all seem to be taking. As soon as I see some vegetation -- I didn't have an opportunity to get shots of the roots yesterday -- I will post some new photos . . .

Finally, from one of the more modest cuttings I took from Cephalotus flower stalks back in May, there are now outward signs that the cuttings are beginning to take (I had already found some early rooting taking place in August). A first vegetative leaf is just visible . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant"

May 2009
CFlower.jpg

September 2009
CFHG2-1.jpg

CFHG-2.jpg

This is an exciting development!

Here is a recent photo of a Cephalotus strike from a 2009 section of flower stalk -- the dried remains of which can be seen just to the right. There are a few others examples, though they are currently overgrown by moss . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant"

February 2010
CEPHHUMMER.jpg

Back