User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus Propagation via its Flower Stalk?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus Propagation via its Flower Stalk?

I was wondering whether anyone out there has had any experience (or, more properly, luck) in propagating Cephalotus via its flower stalk? Since it is a fairly common process with Dionaea and some others -- and considering that a few of my plants are now in the process of blooming (and I should have no want of seed), I was thinking of trying it out. I also planted a smaller section of stalk alone, in the fashion of a leaf-cutting . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant"

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hummer's blooming too. I was just going to tickle the flowers with a tiny paint brush and hope for seeds. There's no point in trying to share pollen here, but I've heard you get better results by cross pollinating. Has anyone produced seeds from selfing Hummers Giant?
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srduggins View Post
    My hummer's blooming too. I was just going to tickle the flowers with a tiny paint brush and hope for seeds. There's no point in trying to share pollen here, but I've heard you get better results by cross pollinating. Has anyone produced seeds from selfing Hummers Giant?

I've also gone the self-pollination route in the past -- via that "paint brush" method -- and have always ended up with seed. I am letting a few other Cephalotus bloom and set seed but thought it would be interesting to see if these flower stalks strike.

Well, considering that you can use vegetative leaves, pitchers, bits of rhizome and root to propagate Cephalotus, I imagine that this may also work . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've often wondered the same thing about flower stalks... (of any CP species)

I wish you luck Bella!
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    I've often wondered the same thing about flower stalks... (of any CP species)

I wish you luck Bella!
    Thanks.

I have typically planted Dionaea flower stalks after I snipped a few; and I have had fairly good luck with those . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i recently had D. binata x Marston Dragon propogate via flower stalk cuttings...

I dont wanna jynx it, but I'd say that I bet that this technique will work for the ceph's

*knocks on wood*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have anything to loose, but of all the plant parts I would think that if it does root at all it would be the least likely to/ have the lowest success rate... many plants can spread via leaf and root bits naturally but flower stalks usually don't ever have the opportunity to. I suppose that doesn’t mean that they can't, though.

I would recommend removing the tips. Just as with cut flowers, they may continue to try and open/expand once they have been cut off and use up their energy that way instead of putting it towards roots.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srduggins View Post
    Has anyone produced seeds from selfing Hummers Giant?
    I've got 4 babies coming along from last fall's seed crop. Most have 2-3 little pitchers. While I used 95% of the seed for the charity sale, I stuck a few in some media since I'd never actually planted any. Cool little guys ...

When you mention 'selfing' - it was all 'selfed' - on their own. The prior year, I painstakingly pollinated every flower (or close) and I got less-than-optimal seed set (imho) and gooey paintbrushes from the nectar. Last fall, I did nothing, nada, rien ... & got more seed. Go figure...

So far this spring, I've only got one stalk coming & it will be on it's own when it opens...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast