What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie with curley new pitchers???

One of my grab-bag plants has the ends of all the new pitchers curled under sort of like a fern.
It's the only plant doing this, is this common for a certain variety?
I can't see any evidence of insect damage.
I'd post a photo if I could figure out how.

It's normal for Sarrs to do this, first pitchers of the season will sometimes look deformed or damaged, no need to worry the next ones will appear normal. The deformed ones will also sometimes open normally, they'll just grow deformed. VFTs will also have deformed traps at the beginning of the season but also no need to worry.

Oh, thanks!
All my others look normal, it's just this one plant.
I guess there's always that 2%.

Yeah, sometimes they produce pitchers sort of like ingrown hairs.

My first minor pitcher looks similar to a sine wave, and several other sarracenia are also deformed - my purpurea grew a pitcher with two heads! didn't open though...too bad.

Lol. my minor made a deformed pitcher, same with the oreophila.

As the others have noted, early-season pitchers sometimes can be unusual, however, deformed pitchers can also be a sign of insect/mite damage. Critters very much enjoy the fresh succulent flesh of new, emerging pitchers. Keep a close watch on them ... :nono:

During spring, growth maybe spurtious and fast and it may cause some pitchers to grow deformed - especially if your conditions are anything less than optimal. This is normal though. If subsequent growth continues to show signs of distress, I would definitely look for other possible causes.

deformedalata.jpg

Back