What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New at Darlingtonia

I am Bob

Not really
Hi,

I was wondering if I could grow Darlingtonia on a sunny window. I don't think it would do well outside where I am at.

Darlingtonia is a pretty finicky plant. it requires a constantly cool root system, cool nights, reasonable humidity...you'll be better off growing it outdoors.

It gets warm where I am at. any ideas how to keep it cool without spending tons of money (I am a 13 year old on a budget)

Darlingtonias, require cooler roots than the rest of the plant, in order to do this, buy a hydroponic, water cooler, synthesizing gauge-inator which is 2790$ Or go old school and water it which cool water from the fridge, and on really hot days but ice cubes on the media.

I'll try the second option. thanks. now if only I could find one to grow. looks like I'll be trying lowe's.

I'm growing Darlingtonia in a bog, its doing fine and I'm almost sure CA is hotter than where you live. :3 It's not that hard, mines in Peat/ Perlite (1:2) and LFS on top. I water it every 2 days when it drys out, and I'm sure to flood the bog. Darlingtonia being hard to grow is a stereotype, as long as it stays wet, and out in full sun, I'm sure it'll be okay. I have the easier kind (thanks to SK) and it's happily putting out a new pitcher. :D Good luck, you can also put ice cubes (but be sure to use RO/Distilled water to make the ice cubes) on top of the soil and let it melt. Good Luck :D

thanks halt. I may have to some reasearch to find the easy variety (I heard that the lowe's plants are very difficult to grow.)

Its Not a good Idea to let the plants media to dry out, they need to be constantly moist but not soggy or damp. If he means that he lets the water in the tray dry out than that fine, aslong as the media doesn't dry out fully.

Also there are only 2 varieties, regular and mountain, mountain is easier, but good luck finding one :p

Always make sure the roots are cool and the plant gets lots of sun. its tricky, but can be done. here's a recent pic of my darlingtonia:

DSC06375.jpg

Its in a bog, so its always wet. I flood my bog cause here in CA it dries out so darn fast. -.-

and so the search for the mountain variety begins. google here I come!

i water mine with cold water 3 times a day, and give it full sun for 8 or more hours a day. you're much much better starting off with easier plants, like get experience with sarracenia and other N.A. cp's before trying this. plus, lowe's plants are usually unhealthy, so unless you take very good care of it, it WILL die.

I have expierience with Sarrs. (currently my Jonesii is flowering.) I actually wanted to grow this because it looks awesome.

Good to hear its doing well for you still Halt :)
Bob, You would be better off growing darlingtonia outside, and as...who was it earlier that said it? too lazy to go back, the mountain variety is a bit difficult to get your hands on. Mine is proving to be insanely easy, A because its the mountain variety, and B my climate is exactly the same as it is in their natural habitat a couple hundred miles southwest of me XD.
Id personally grow it outside, flood the pot with cold water daily on hot days, or even put icecubes ontop of the media.
Media, id use 50/50 lfs/perlite or 100% pure live LFS....either one works, the perlite just aids in air and reduction of soil compaction so its really a matter of preference. Ill see what i can work out with divisions on mine again, Maybe ill be able to find something out for you to get you the mountain variety ;)
Edit: Also bob, there is really no difference in looks between the two, occasionally the mountain variety will get a kind of red blush to it.
Also, the mountain and coastal are the same plant, just one originates from a higher elevation. Lets not forget the 'othello' which is known to be completely red IFRC

Thank you all for your help. Sirkristoff that would be awesome if you could.

Ill go grab a couple of fresh pics of my little mountain variety for you...not sure how many divisions i can muster up out of it....

Kris, othello is all greenish white, not red. It's anthocyanin free. ;)

Bob, I have to respectfully disagree with what some of the others said. Growing Darlingtonia indoors in a window is very possible. Elgecko, a very reputable grower, grows his indoors in a window during the hot summer and then places them outside for fall in preparation for dormancy. I believe when winter comes along he brings them into an unheated garage so they don't freeze during dormancy.
I plan on doing the same thing this growing season just for the fact that I'll be able to see and enjoy my Darlingtonia more often. I did grow my plant outdoors in the NC heat last summer without special care or problems... However, I may have lost it through the dormancy, I'm still not sure. (I somewhat neglected it during winter... let it freeze, dry out, etc) Good thing I got a backup from Lowes over the winter.

Also, all of my Darlingtonia have been from Lowes. I don't find them hard to grow at all, aside from the winter issue (which is really just my fault). I think when people say the plants from Lowes are hard to grow, they mean because they are in such a bad state when they receive them.

Good Luck

I wasn't thinking I would be able to find one for another couple of mounths, so I would be very excited if you had anything

Hell if i remember what darlingtonia cultivars are what anymore XDDD i just keep the typical ones....mountain variety just is named for its elevation origin

Here are some shots of my Lowes Darlingtonia from last summer:

SN851784.jpg

SN851793.jpg

SN851783.jpg

I'll get some pics of my windowsill plant soon.

Back