Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarracenia for New England

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in NW WI (not far from the Twin Cities). I keep mine in an unheated garage from Nov.-Mar/Apr. We can get several nights a winter that drop down to 15-20F below zero. The coldest it will get in the garage is about 10F. I don't do anything special, just drag the tubs in there once really cold weather settles in. The one thing I've noticed is that it seems that plants that are grown individually in small pots are more susceptible to dying than those in larger pots. I have a couple of lg. circular tubs, about 2' diameter and 10" deep. I haven't lost any plants out of those, but I have lost a lot of plants that were just kept individually in pots. I just bought a larger tub, about 4' across and 14" deep, actually it's from a farm supply store, meant for feedling/watering livestock. I'm putting what plants I have left into that (I'll probabably need to get another one yet), and hopefully I won't lose anymore.

Another thing I should add is that I just don't get the flowers that I used to. I lived in Missouri and VA Beach before moving here. My first summer here in WI (moved here in april '04), I had well over 100 flowers. Last year I had 6. This year, I only see 1 so far, but things are still just slowly waking up. Part of this is the # of plants that I lost, but I'm sure the other part is the climate. I think the growing season is just too short up here. Like I said, I just see a flower and the first pitchers of the year starting to grow now, and the first hard freeze usually comes in mid/late October. So that's approx. 5-6 months tops per year. Fortunately, my wife has a greenhouse at her work that I can use, so I put seedlings in there. Need to get my own though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plants in their own pots are definitely more susceptible to the cold. especially small pots, gotta think about it, they are easier to freeze solid and are less insolated than a larger bog garden or pot of multiple plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT: Nevermind that question.

I think I'm going to go with a flava, unless there is anything else I should know about.
    My Grow-List!
    "Somewhere in Texas a village is missing its idiot"
    -----------------------Unknown Bumper-Sticker-----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can provide light they'll appreciate it but during dormancy it's not necessary. Actually I recall hearing that below a certain temp they can't photosynthesize anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You dont need to give them light during dormancy, no.
    but some plants such as oreophila, flava, and i think leucophylla do on occasions, will produce leaf structures called phyllodia which allow the plant to photosynthesize through winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that all my plants are starting to produce picthers and no flowers here in Iowa. I know they are mature as I bought them with flowers last year. That is to bad that in my climate they are not going to be as productive with the flowers. I do know someone that can store the plants in his greenhouse where he overwintered his and they are know producing alot of flower so I may have to go that route. Anyone else in zone 5 have the same issues with decreased flowering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Saratoga Springs, NY, zone 4/5, depending on the winter. I have an outdoor bog with S. Purpurea (southern, not northern variety), S. Psitticina, S. Flava, and S. Minor - they were covered with straw for the winter - and they all are coming back with new pitchers. We got as cold as -20F last winter. This was the first winter for the bog, and was very surprised to see the S. Minor and S. Psit make it!

Jeremy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12