What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any hope of saving my Sarracenia Minor?

No Nothing will happen its just like buying a sundew or nep bareroot in this time of year.

Hmm. Well, I guess I'm in the market for a new Sarracenia.

However, I don't have a job right now and money's a little tight, so I'm going to wait a little bit.

I'm thinking of getting Purpurea ssp Venosa, Minor, or Rubra. Any suggestions? I want something pretty small

purpurea venosa is the smallest of the group that you just stated above.

scott, did you ever get to repoting that d.binata? ;)

yes I did! :)
I repotted it this spring..(new pics coming soon)
I cut the clump in half, and potted both halves into one larger pot..
now the two clumps have room to spread out..

Scot

Did the minor buy it in the end?

Have a look at the Savage Garden - it should give you some ideas of what to buy.

Have a look at hybrids as well. If you like S. minor, you'll love S.x excellens.

I noticed that when I lost most of my Sarr collection last Fall due to fungus-of-the-rhizome; that the pitchers browned and died from the bottom up.

The healthy pitcher end-of-life being that they die from the top to bottom.

Did the minor buy it in the end?

Have a look at the Savage Garden - it should give you some ideas of what to buy.

Have a look at hybrids as well. If you like S. minor, you'll love S.x excellens.

No, it still looks the same. I have the soil very wet, basically waterlogged.

One thing that I would consider doing is to uproot the plant and examine the rhizome itself for pests or disease. Sarracenia are amazingly resilient to handling, particularly this time of year. Remove any dead or diseased tissue and perhaps treat it with a fungicide just in case and provide fresh new compost. . .

This summer is the first time I'm going to STOP keeping my plants waterlogged...not even with 1 or 2 inches of water sitting in their trays. I grow them outside, but combine that with the hot Houston sun and no water aeration, I find a lot of my Sars die from root rot. I'm going to just topwater them daily and use the sphagnum as indicator for dryness.

I used to actually have a small water pump in their trays to get the water circulating but I didn't see any major improvements.

No, it still looks the same. I have the soil very wet, basically waterlogged.

I think you just need to be patient. How's the flower doing?

Hi Ahmad,
Another Florida grower here. S. minor can be tricky. They seem to like dry-ish conditions compared to other Sarrs. Where in Florida are you? We have found growing our Sarrs in water trays to be an excellent way to promote rhizome rot, and any standing stagnant water is not good. You must have drainage! Unplug those holes and let the water flow!

I think you just need to be patient. How's the flower doing?

Flower petals are starting to wither...

Hi Ahmad,
Another Florida grower here. S. minor can be tricky. They seem to like dry-ish conditions compared to other Sarrs. Where in Florida are you? We have found growing our Sarrs in water trays to be an excellent way to promote rhizome rot, and any standing stagnant water is not good. You must have drainage! Unplug those holes and let the water flow!

I live in the Tampa area. I'm going to buy some new watertrays in a few weeks. I just have to save up some money for them

Well, as I pointed out, we don't use water trays and grow the plants a bit on the dry side for Sarracenia. The pitchers that turned brown...notice they are still green at the base. The rhizome is probably fine. If you repotted the plant shortly after it produced those pitchers, it could explain the pitcher loss. Let it establish and see what happens.
By the way, what are you using for potting soil?

Well, as I pointed out, we don't use water trays and grow the plants a bit on the dry side for Sarracenia. The pitchers that turned brown...notice they are still green at the base. The rhizome is probably fine. If you repotted the plant shortly after it produced those pitchers, it could explain the pitcher loss. Let it establish and see what happens.
By the way, what are you using for potting soil?

1/2 Peat, 1/2 perlite, with a dose of sand. The top 1/2 inch is pure peat

Ahmad,

Does the plant seem to be losing turgor?

Have you checked the rhizome?

What you describe here looks/sounds very much like "rhizome melt" to me. It is an insidious fungal disease and is a real pain to recover the plant from.

If you give the rhizome a gentle squeeze you will know for sure if this is the problem. A healthy rhizome will not budge at all. An infected one will feel like an uncooked hotdog.

An infected one will feel like an uncooked hotdog.

That's what she said. (Sorry, it's late and my immaturity creeps up on me.)

Anyways, I've never had a Sar successfully recover from rhizome rot. I've tried fungicides, drying it, blasting it in sun, pure distilled water therapy, etc. but once it's set, there's little that I did besides cutting the entire rotten portion that saved it.

In my experience, losing a few pitchers due to insufficient water causes them to brown from the tops first, which is salvagable compared to rotting from the bottom up.

The ones that get hit the most in my collection are S. purpurea and S x Judith Hindle. Maybe something about having the S. purpurea cold-tolerant genes make them more susceptible to heat + bacteria. Or most likely because they were Lowes plants. :p

Well, it looks like I'll be getting a Sarracenia Purpurea in a few weeks to replace my Minor.

Well, my Sarracenia Minor has completely rotted away :-(

Back