Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential Cultivar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Pro. See how it goes and in a few years it could well be a candidate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro makes a very good point!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, i know. i actually said in my first post i would wait several years to evaluate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plants. I always love red/black tube plants. I think it has potential...
    my growlist
    The Southeast Carnivorous Plant Society
    Man who run in front of car get tired; man who run behind car get exhausted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like it too! Wasn't there a cultivar, 'Black Widow' or something, that was in the March ICPS newsletter? (Wrong forum , I know) Had the same parentage, and looked remarkably similar, notwithstanding that it was mature. I wonder if you COULD submit it as a cultivar, since they have the same parentage/have the same characteristics? By same I mean deep coloration, vigor, etc. I know that some cultivars, like all the VFTs, look similar, but it's a monotypic genus! I am no expert at cultivars, but I'm wondering what other people think about it? I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all! I think it's a beautiful plant, and congratulate ya for getting it that old, since I dont have luck with seedlings at all!

Good growing!
    Aslan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Like it too! Wasn't there a cultivar, 'Black Widow' or something, that was in the March ICPS newsletter? (Wrong forum , I know) Had the same parentage, and looked remarkably similar, notwithstanding that it was mature. I wonder if you COULD submit it as a cultivar, since they have the same parentage/have the same characteristics? By same I mean deep coloration, vigor, etc. I know that some cultivars, like all the VFTs, look similar, but it's a monotypic genus! I am no expert at cultivars, but I'm wondering what other people think about it? I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all! I think it's a beautiful plant, and congratulate ya for getting it that old, since I dont have luck with seedlings at all!

Good growing!
    Aslan

That's all depends on whether the flava ' red' is a rubricorpora. If it is then it would be the same parentage but NOT the same clone. Registered hybrids like Black widow are registered by the specific look, not by parentage.

A better example is Moorei. There is Leah Wilkerson and Adrian Slack which are also thought to be different Moorei crosses. All have a thought to be similar parentage but the differences between each are very prominent.
    Parentage does not restrict only 1 hybrid to be named, rather it is registration is done by traits as well as including the name of the parental plants if they are known.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Black Widow was alata black x RTF. But I am going to go out on a limb and say that its parents and the parents of the above are totally unrelated based on what I know of Widow So this plant could easily become its own cultivar should it merit it. It just can not be Widow.

Here is a nice early season Widow:

And one from late last year
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow those are AMAZING Pyro, congratulations on acquiring such a nice specimen. Have any more we can drooool over?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast