Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Root Shield Trichoderma for Cephs

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a heads up, I am in the process of becoming a distributor for ampacbiotech. I plan to carry their flowable (drench that Butch mentions) as well as their granular formulas. There's a hiccup with the NC Agricultural department with getting it shipped into NC. Once that's straightened out, I will have different quantities available for sell. If anyone is interested in more details, please feel free to PM me.

In the mean time, Kelly at ampacbiotech is an extremely nice lady. She will do all that can be done to help you guys out .

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all
    Till we get Crystal all set up, which should be soon, you can order through me or buy off our e-bay store
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANT-HELPER-Org...3A1%7C294%3A50 Just give me a call at 559 266-8324 or e-mail me at kely@ampacbiotech.net
    Hope that helps
    Thanks Kelly

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks both of you.

I'll be sure to order some when I start working. As for now, I'm broke.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might as well add in that I use Ampac products as well. I personally attribute a good degree of my success with pitcher plants to trichoderma. As AV said, I am biased to it as well, so don't come knocking for controls. I too use the flowable for a monthly or so treatment. Yes...Kelly is a great lady and very very helpful. As Av would agree, I too am a customer for life as long as i still grow CPs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to be the buzz-kill here, but I have used Trichoderma on and off over the years -- once touted as "the greatest thing since sliced white bread" -- and haven't ever been able to tell any difference whatsoever between those Cephalotus I treated and those I did not.

There is truly no short cut to sound horticultural practice; and provided that the plants aren't stored in a stifling environment (all but inviting Botrytus) or "par-boiled" as many I've seen, there are seldom any problems . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the tips Av8tor, wish I knew of the availability of this Ampac stuff here... I ferget where I got the Rootshield from, there seems to be no exp date on it. It's in the fridge now.

How I got the dreaded fungus? Watering too much during Winter dormancy with the lower lighting. Plus it was in an upright 75gal fishtank. Wasn't paying too much attention either as I was heavily involved in other projects.

Happened about a year-and-a-half ago. I found the best way to get rid of the fungus is to simply put the affected plant ouside in the Spring and/or Fall. The sunlight burns it off and the air movement keeps it from coming back. I use 10 Gal tanks with a screen top with clamps to keep out hungry critters.

Summers too hot here on LI so they'll be back inside in a 75gal fishtank on it's side in a cool room.

The Trich does make sense to me that it would help... I figure an ounce of prevention and alla that.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with any product Your-Mileage-May-Vary.

My Cephalotus would get patches of a white fuzz, which would leave red "bruises" when cleaned off with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. Patches would crop up every 3-4 weeks. I finally got it under control with Neem oil - month and half with no outbreaks.

After reading all the virtues of the Ampac product I obtained some of the granular and flowable products.

I drenched the pot with a concentration of the flowable product as per directions. Within a few days a few of the "bruises" started growing a off-white/cream colored fuzz. Assuming this to be the Trichoderma "attacking" the existing fungus I left it untreated locally (alcohol). The fuzz spread over a few days and killed a few pitchers. Local control (hydrogen peroxide) would only abate the fuzz for a few days. After about two weeks I added about a 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of the granular product. Fuzz continued to be a problem, tips of "keel" on new pitchers would yellow and blacken soon after lids would open. Eventually the entire pitcher would yellow and wither away. 6 weeks after the first drench I tried a second drench. No improvement.

Neem oil would only control the "fuzz" growth for a week or so. After struggling for a few months I learned that others have had negative experiences with Trichoderma (unknown if the Ampac product) and resorted to a systemic fungicde Benomyl (no longer available).

I then learned that one Cephalotus propagator uses sulfur based fungicides on his plants. After one treatment of a sulfur based spray I have not had any further outbreaks of fuzz and the browing/blackening has stopped. It's been 4 months or so.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have had good experiences with sulfur, used primarily as a preventative measure during wet winters in Northern California (most of my Cephalotus having been kept outside). I used Bonide Sulfur Plant Fungicide, which can be applied either as a solution with a sprayer or dusted directly in its very fine powder form. The product is ninety-percent sulfur, inexpensive, and highly effective . . .

Those growers I've known who have utilized Trichoderma treatments with some "success" already followed sound horticultural practices; that their Cephalotus never succumbed to Botrytis or other fungal infections was more a testament to their skill than the use of any innoculent . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast