Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Root Shield Trichoderma for Cephs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why doesn't anyone use a combo of beneficial fungi and bacteria? I have been looking to get some beneficial mycorrhizal products for my CP's and other plants. Can anyone recommend a good brand to get? I really would like to get a product that has multiple beneficial mycorrhizal. I have used a product called Subculture on my garden in the past but it contains some nutrients. I'm looking for one with no nutrients just beneficial mycorrhizal (Endomycorrhizal fungi, Ectomycorrhizal fungi, Trichoderma & Beneficial Bacteria).
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frilleon View Post
    Why doesn't anyone use a combo of beneficial fungi and bacteria? I have been looking to get some beneficial mycorrhizal products for my CP's and other plants. Can anyone recommend a good brand to get? I really would like to get a product that has multiple beneficial mycorrhizal. I have used a product called Subculture on my garden in the past but it contains some nutrients. I'm looking for one with no nutrients just beneficial mycorrhizal (Endomycorrhizal fungi, Ectomycorrhizal fungi, Trichoderma & Beneficial Bacteria).
    Quite simply because there is absolutely no need for it. The carnivorous plants have existed for millennia in nutrient-poor soils; and it is all-too obvious how these plants obtain their nitrogen and other necessities.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can any of this be used for Sarracenia? I am looking for a preventative fungicide for bortytis, etc. but I have a hard time using something on a healthy plant that has nothing wrong with it! I know, I'm weird. I have been using Actinovate as a soil drench. It is a biological fungicide that uses a beneficial bacteria.

BigBella: Do you use the Bonide on your Sarrs?
    I don't want EVERY Sarracenia, just everyone that I see!!
    Growlist/Wantlist Updated 2/23/12:http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103039

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Root shield and the Ampac product with Sarracenia with no noticeable effects. I had a S. purpurea ssp. venosa and S. minor dying of the mysterious rhizome rot. Both died despite treatments with the Ampac Trichoderma. They may have been too far gone to begin with.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky78 View Post
    Can any of this be used for Sarracenia? I am looking for a preventative fungicide for bortytis, etc. but I have a hard time using something on a healthy plant that has nothing wrong with it! I know, I'm weird. I have been using Actinovate as a soil drench. It is a biological fungicide that uses a beneficial bacteria.

BigBella: Do you use the Bonide on your Sarrs?
    I don't use anything on my Sarracenia during the active growing season, save for the occasional neem oil treatment to control insect pests. Occasionally, I will use the Bonide as a dry dusting once or twice during dormancy, especially when the rainy season begins . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ask because Trichoderma will only effect fungi in the SOIL not on the plant. So it is no good for Botrytis or powdery mildew or any other fungus that effect the plant. Some of the other beneficial mycorrhizal will attack fungus on the plant. Not to mention that I know many people here fertilizer their soil which in turn the mulituple beneficial mycorrhizal might help. I see HUGE growth spurts when I use the Subculture on my garden (currently used them on Corn, Pumpkins, tomatoes). How long did you use the beneficial mycorrhizal? What kind did you use? I don't think Trichoderma will help much with growth spurts but it does build root mass. Just wanted to see if anyone has had growth spurts with a blend of beneficial mycorrhizal. Just because "carnivorous plants have existed for millennia in nutrient-poor soils" doesn't mean the soil is devoid of beneficial mycorrhizal.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Quite simply because there is absolutely no need for it. The carnivorous plants have existed for millennia in nutrient-poor soils; and it is all-too obvious how these plants obtain their nitrogen and other necessities.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it . . .
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warren brings up a good point, your milage may vary.. what works for one may not work for another
    Quote Originally Posted by Frilleon View Post
    I ask because Trichoderma will only effect fungi in the SOIL not on the plant. .
    Frilleon, you should read this before you make such a statement

http://geocities.com/butchtincher/re...a_research.pdf

I respect everyone's opinion, what i suggest is look at the research and make up your own mind...

Plants grow without fertilizer but we use it because of the benefits, some of us use certain bulbs for the same reason... sometimes we use a product not because the plant wont grow without it but because of the benefits it provides.

Trichoderma is not a cure all, nor is it the best thing since sliced bread...

some talk about ceph die back alot, well Ive not had any ceph die back since i started using trich, some talk about their slow growth rates... well mine growh fast.

So while some may say they dont see any use in trichoderma, i see it differently...I see their experiences as proof to me that in fact it does work.

I believe it works for me and there is more then enough documented proof it works in controlled studies on many pathogens both fungal and bacterial

again, all i ask is look at the data, the images etc
    http://geocities.com/butchtincher/re...a_research.pdf

and here is a google scholar search on trichoderma
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...erma+pathogens

now someone post the peer reviewed data showing it is ineffective on common plant pathogens and lets have a professional, unbiased debate based on documented studies and data

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Trichoderma in the past with a few Cephalotus and haven't experienced your anecdotal success, any much-touted growth spurts, or any noticeable difference whatsoever (and I would consider myself experienced with these plants); and, as far as any lack of "Cephalotus Sudden Death" is concerned (now that most of my pots are dressed with live sphagnum, I haven't experienced it either. Correlation?), remember what is said of motorcycle riders, even the most experienced, "There are those who have been down, and those that are going down . . ."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast