What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Root Shield Trichoderma for Cephs

Can any of this be used for Sarracenia? I am looking for a preventative fungicide for bortytis, etc. but I have a hard time using something on a healthy plant that has nothing wrong with it! I know, I'm weird. I have been using Actinovate as a soil drench. It is a biological fungicide that uses a beneficial bacteria.

BigBella: Do you use the Bonide on your Sarrs?

I don't use anything on my Sarracenia during the active growing season, save for the occasional neem oil treatment to control insect pests. Occasionally, I will use the Bonide as a dry dusting once or twice during dormancy, especially when the rainy season begins . . .

I ask because Trichoderma will only effect fungi in the SOIL not on the plant. So it is no good for Botrytis or powdery mildew or any other fungus that effect the plant. Some of the other beneficial mycorrhizal will attack fungus on the plant. Not to mention that I know many people here fertilizer their soil which in turn the mulituple beneficial mycorrhizal might help. I see HUGE growth spurts when I use the Subculture on my garden (currently used them on Corn, Pumpkins, tomatoes). How long did you use the beneficial mycorrhizal? What kind did you use? I don't think Trichoderma will help much with growth spurts but it does build root mass. Just wanted to see if anyone has had growth spurts with a blend of beneficial mycorrhizal. Just because "carnivorous plants have existed for millennia in nutrient-poor soils" doesn't mean the soil is devoid of beneficial mycorrhizal.

Quite simply because there is absolutely no need for it. The carnivorous plants have existed for millennia in nutrient-poor soils; and it is all-too obvious how these plants obtain their nitrogen and other necessities.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it . . .

Warren brings up a good point, your milage may vary.. what works for one may not work for another
I ask because Trichoderma will only effect fungi in the SOIL not on the plant. .

Frilleon, you should read this before you make such a statement

http://geocities.com/butchtincher/research1/trichoderma_research.pdf

I respect everyone's opinion, what i suggest is look at the research and make up your own mind...

Plants grow without fertilizer but we use it because of the benefits, some of us use certain bulbs for the same reason... sometimes we use a product not because the plant wont grow without it but because of the benefits it provides.

Trichoderma is not a cure all, nor is it the best thing since sliced bread...

some talk about ceph die back alot, well Ive not had any ceph die back since i started using trich, some talk about their slow growth rates... well mine growh fast.

So while some may say they dont see any use in trichoderma, i see it differently...I see their experiences as proof to me that in fact it does work.

I believe it works for me and there is more then enough documented proof it works in controlled studies on many pathogens both fungal and bacterial

again, all i ask is look at the data, the images etc

and here is a google scholar search on trichoderma
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=trichoderma+pathogens

now someone post the peer reviewed data showing it is ineffective on common plant pathogens and lets have a professional, unbiased debate based on documented studies and data

I have used Trichoderma in the past with a few Cephalotus and haven't experienced your anecdotal success, any much-touted growth spurts, or any noticeable difference whatsoever (and I would consider myself experienced with these plants); and, as far as any lack of "Cephalotus Sudden Death" is concerned (now that most of my pots are dressed with live sphagnum, I haven't experienced it either. Correlation?), remember what is said of motorcycle riders, even the most experienced, "There are those who have been down, and those that are going down . . ."

I ask because Trichoderma will only effect fungi in the SOIL not on the plant. So it is no good for Botrytis or powdery mildew or any other fungus that effect the plant. Some of the other beneficial mycorrhizal will attack fungus on the plant. Not to mention that I know many people here fertilizer their soil which in turn the mulituple beneficial mycorrhizal might help. I see HUGE growth spurts when I use the Subculture on my garden (currently used them on Corn, Pumpkins, tomatoes). How long did you use the beneficial mycorrhizal? What kind did you use? I don't think Trichoderma will help much with growth spurts but it does build root mass. Just wanted to see if anyone has had growth spurts with a blend of beneficial mycorrhizal. Just because "carnivorous plants have existed for millennia in nutrient-poor soils" doesn't mean the soil is devoid of beneficial mycorrhizal.

http://www.utoledo.edu/as/psrc/growers/pdf/Botrytis_blight_in_bognia.pdf
http://www.biology-online.org/articles/calcium-mediated_perception_defense_responses/abstract.html

Frilleon, you should read this before you make such a statement

I read this and it states they have tested one strain of trichoderma (harzianum) that showed some resistance properties but NOT control of the fungus (Botrytis cinerea). Which is good to keep it away but will not treat an infection. Most of the research I found (looking at manufactures and their products) state that trichoderma will only effect the soil and any fungus there. I was not aware of the reasearch you supplied. Which is great to know. It also shows there is a huge reason to use multiple strains over just one type of trichoderma. As each strain acts differently. In fact the same strains will act differently to different plants. As I stated before there are other types of fungus (not trichoderma) that will attack fungus on the plant directly. This is why I asked the question. This is a great debate and we all learn the more we talk about it! I too respect everyones opinion and there is always the fact every person is going to have different results using similar methods.

again everything in the first link is about one strain of trichoderma and it's effects on Botrytis cinerea on one plant. This is a different strain then you are selling. The second link is the same strain you sell and again BOTH research points to resistance of infections and not control of existing infections.

we must be reading different papers
let me cut and paste verbatim

(sorry, I couldnt seem to maintain the table format)

Table1 | Evidence for, and effectiveness of, induced resistance in plants by Trichoderma species
Species Plant Pathogens Evidence or effects Time after Efficacy References
and strain application

T. virens G-6, Cotton Rhizoctonia Protection of plants; 4 days 78% reduction in disease; ability to 43
G-6-5 and G-11 solani induction of fungitoxic induce phytoalexins required for
terpenoid phytoalexins maximum biocontrol activity
T. harzianum T-39 Bean Colletotrichum Protection of leaves when 10 days 42% reduction in lesion area; 41lindemuthianum; T-39 was present only on number of spreading lesions
Botrytis cinerea roots reduced
T. harzianum T-39 Tomato, B. cinerea Protection of leaves when 7 days 25–100% reduction in grey-mould 42pepper, T-39 was present only symptoms
tobacco, on roots
lettuce,
bean
T. asperellum T-203 Cucumber Pseudomonas Protection of leaves when 5 days Up to 80% reduction in disease on leaves; 66
syringae pv. T-203 was present only on 100-fold reduction in level of pathogenic
lachrymans roots; production of bacterial cells in leaves
antifungal compounds in
leaves
T. harzianum T-22; Bean B. cinerea and Protection of leaves when 7–10 days 69% reduction in grey-mould M. L.,
T. atroviride P1 Xanthomonas T-22 or P1 was present (B. cinerea) symptoms with T22; unpublished
campestris pv. only on roots; production lower level of control with P1. 54% observations
phaseoli of antifungal compounds reduction in bacterial disease
in leaves symptoms.
T. harzianum T-1 & Cucumber Green-mottle Protection of leaves when 7 days Disease-induced reduction in growth 99
T22; T. virens T3 mosaic virus Trichoderma strains were eliminated
present only on roots
T. harzianum T-22 Tomato Alternaria solani Protection of leaves when 3 months Up to 80% reduction in early blight 100T-22 was present only on symptoms from natural field
roots infection

please refer to table1 in the link to make sense of it, the cut and paste is a poor substitute

Bigbella, interesting comparision, Ill remember that at the next bike meet
but for now please provide the peer reviewed data

Not trying to be a wet blanket but for the benefit of new ceph growers... :hug:

The basic needs have to be met i.e. the light, humidty and water conditions the cephs are in. 'Cos if they are not right, no amount of fertilisers or beneficial fungus would boost their growth.

Now the article only talks about resistance but the table makes it look like it will control inffections. That article is great and is some of the best info I have seen to date on differet trichoderma. I still have to read about the disease control. Anyway my main question still stands. Has anyone tried a beneficial mycorrhizal cocktail and seen any results.

Back