Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Root Shield Trichoderma for Cephs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Root Shield Trichoderma for Cephs

Hi all, just picked up some Root Shield which has 1.15% Trichoderma harzianum Rifai Strain KRL-AG2 for my Cephalotus

I know a couple of people here use Trichoderma harzianum, is this a good enough brand? How much should I use per gallon of water? How much should I water my Cephalotus with? And how often? Do I pour it all over the plant or just over the roots?

I recently beat the dreaded Botrytis fungus which set mine back quite a bit for a year and a half. I hope by using this stuff I can avoid a repeat of that.

Any suggestions from anyone with experience using this stuff would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-13-2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: N. A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember the mixture:water combination, but I just watered the plant from above.

You only need to do it once. The culture will grow along the roots as the season goes on.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

G,

Ive been a Trichoderma user for quite a few years now, personally I prefer ampacbiotech's Trichoderma atroviride strain. It seems to work much better for CP's and the spore count is significantly higher then rootsheild's. Another prob I have had with rootshield is getting some that wasnt out of date already. Ive ordered it from several sources and every single time it had already reached the expiration date prior to shipment. However, each time the vendor made good on the purchase... but still.

As far as treating once and forgetting, that only applies to some strains, not all. Personally I use it as a monthly drench. Trichoderma will form a symbiotic relationship with the plant plus parasitize other fungi. It also has the ability to physically change the cell structure of the plant root. The beneficial effects seem to be able to travel throughout the plant to some degree as well.

I use a teaspoon per gallon of water and I also use ampac's granular product for any problem areas and transplanting.

Trichoderma is a numbers game, if you keep a good healthy population of it, it competes with the pathogens for resources. Hence, not only attacking them, but preventing them from getting a foothold to begin with.

Trichoderma also increases the plants nutrient uptake, increasing growth rate.

Its a win, win situation. Personally, it's a monthly routine for me. Ive not used any fungicides in many years now.

Suggested reading

http://geocities.com/butchtincher/re...a_research.pdf

http://geocities.com/butchtincher/re...ma_summary.pdf

and yep, I am biased... Ive tried many Trichoderma/beneficial organism products... ampac has no rival in product or customer service IMHO

http://ampacbiotech.com/

some will tell you its only voodoo, and that's ok too...

Av
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-13-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: N. A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Alexis and especially Av8tor! I already have the Rootshield in hand... otherwise I'd take your advice on the ampacbiotech.
    I've only found Trich for sale one other time and it was pricey!
    So I got this stuff, which has no expiration date, just says "refridgerant after opening"

So do you water heavily with the stuff and let freely drain through Av8tor?
    I use trays under my Ceph's with little water in em, I suppose I would let the treatment drain through, then tray water I'm guessing?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually the exp date will be on a rectangular sticker on the lid, the shelf life for rootshield is 6 months. However, if kept cool it should las for years. I usually get rootshield from Johnny's Seeds.

Yes, give it a good drenching and then catch the run off and give that to your next tier plants... and use all the liquid you make, dont save it. I only use the tray method for cape sundews... but I will typically wait a few days before watering again to give the trich a chance to take hold.

You can also "dust" with it in case of botrytis attack. One tek I use with ampac's granular is to use a straw. This will facilitate getting under a ceph's "clump" where it likes to hide and slowly weaken the plant.

Guogue, knock on wood... but ceph die back is something that I no longer experience, plus my cephs grow at very rapid rates..

Im sure many variables come into play but....

There are literally hundreds of peer review refs regarding the benefits of trichoderma,

Ampac's strain was originally derived from a source in Alaska, so (IMHO) its at home in boggy type enviroments..
    Av

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I think I may start using this stuff.

Any idea where I can pick some up locally? Should Lowe's or Home Depot have it?
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yellowdart,

It's a speciality item, you wont find it at your local garden supply. AMPAC Biotech's main lab manager and at least one of their east coast distributors are TF members.... maybe they will see this and PM ya,

or contact Kelly @ ampacbiotech.com

Av

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Av.

I appreciate all the info.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast