What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are These all The "Little Bugs?'

They were bred to be compact and weird shaped. Begs the question "why"?

I personally love the bugs. I have a pot with them, also with catesbaei, minor, VFT, and drosera binata ditchoma giant. I also will put the June bug in when it starts producing bigger pitchers (just 1-cm long right now, coming out of dormancy) and when i get the love bug i will take pictures

They were bred to be compact and weird shaped. Begs the question "why"?

i think they were selected for unique, colorful appearances, smaller size for shipping reasons, i also think cold-hardiness was selected for as well. being in WI, I can attest that these plants don't seem to be bothered at all by WI winters. another trait i think they were going after was fast growth rates. i remember reading something somewhere about them, but my memory is a bit foggy on it.

I could be wrong, but I think the guys that bred these had visions of creating small, colorful little pitcher plants that could be mass-produced and shipped to garden centers across the country, but for whatever reasons, it just didn't pan out.

I could be wrong, but I think the guys that bred these had visions of creating small, colorful little pitcher plants that could be mass-produced and shipped to garden centers across the country, but for whatever reasons, it just didn't pan out.

It looks like they sorted out the good seedlings from the bad seedlings and threw away the wrong plants!

Back