What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the most complex cross you've seen so far?

I think this one takes the cake so far:

S. x 'Abnorma' (S. [ (flava v. rugelli x leuc) x (x Royal Ruby)] x [(x wilissi) x flava v. cuprea])

That comes out to, if you do the math -- [ (flava v. rugelli x leuc) x (flava x leuc)] x [(x (psittacina x purpurea) x (purpurea x (flava x purpurea))) x flava v. cuprea]

Aka:

Mommy: (Flava v. rugelli x leuc) crossed with (flava x leuc aka "Royal Ruby")
Daddy: ((Psittacina x purpurea) x (Purpurea x (flava x purpurea))) (aka "Willisii") crossed with fava v. cuprea

Anyone seen anything more complex than that? I'm thinking of, once it matures, crossing it with a S. x godzuki (minor x oreophila) or something fun like that. :)

yeah, as far as documented ones go, that's gotta be up there. i bought a couple of those as well as a couple of gin goblins and judith adrians. they are pretty small plants so it's hard to say how they'll look. i have one-year-olds that are 3 times as big. i'll have to get the ol' miracid out on those pronto.
i'd like to see a hybrid with all species in it. i had some (alata x leuco) x [(psitt x purp) x minor)] seedlings from a cross i did, but they didn't survive the winter before last, so i'm back to square one. i'm still upset over it, because one of them was just awesome (in my eyes):

areolataxpsittxpurpureaxminor2yrold.jpg

R.I.P. little buddy

Hm, figure they'll be inside plants the first year I have them, but not 100% sure on that. I might try and keep them outside, especially since it's nice and summer-y out right now...

yeah, you don't want to keep sarracenia indoors if you don't have to. they thrive on full, direct sunlight, the more the better. i can't think of any advantages to keeping them inside during the summer.

yeah, you don't want to keep sarracenia indoors if you don't have to. they thrive on full, direct sunlight, the more the better. i can't think of any advantages to keeping them inside during the summer.

agreed, the more sun the better

I disagree if we are speaking of seedlings. I think the "no dormancy, 24/7 growth" method should be utilized indoors under lights.
Anything over 2 years should definitely be kept outside, though.

I figured he was talking about mature plants. For seedlings I agree, all of mine are grown indoors for at least 2 yrs. I still give em as much light as I can with the neons. 2 yrs and skip the first dormancy period...thanks bugweed:-D

Here's a cross I made last year:
(Dana's Delight x Royal Ruby) X {[(rubra x oreophila) x (purpurea x leucophylla)] x Judith Hindle}.

Anyone care to break this one down?

Wow.
I would, but I didn't think anyone knew the Dana's Delight parentage.

Must be a nice cross, though!

One cross i am planning on doing next year is [Purpurea x Flava] x [ Minor x Psittacina x Purpurea.) then ill hope for a cultivar.
It would be likely called nuclear meltdown. So please don't duplicate this cross

Wow, all those corsses sound like winners. I wish I had the chance to cross my Sarracenias this year, but never really got pollen. :/ Sarracenia, that is an amazing looking seedling, such a shame that it died.

Well, the seedlings I'm getting are from a certain californian nursery and are 2 years old. I presume they'll need a rest this winter then?

I'm just very scared of killing them. ;) I lost about 85% of all the plants I had outside this year due to a lack of winterization. In fact, I can't really think of a single one that survived both the winter and ramping back up in Spring, outside of the alpine strawberry.

Current plans are to get a foam cooler and put the pots in there, fill it with rubber or straw mulch, and then keep it as close to the building as possible...

Try larger bogs if you're going to leave them outside. The larger the bog, the greater the thermal mass and the less likely it is that things will freeze solid. This should not be the only thing you do to winterize, but it's a start.

I dont know how the ID winters are but you could go with a fridge dormancy if you have the room. It worked very well for me this past winter, I lost no plants and they came right out of dormancy without skipping a beat.

Someone wanna put S. abnorma in terms of only the species? :D

Here's a cross I made last year:
(Dana's Delight x Royal Ruby) X {[(rubra x oreophila) x (purpurea x leucophylla)] x Judith Hindle}.

Anyone care to break this one down?

This is fun! These sorts of things should be in those combo puzzle books!

{[leucophylla x {[(purpurea x psittacina) x (purpurea x flava)] x purpurea] x (flava x leucophylla)} X {[(rubra x oreophila) x (purpurea x leucophylla)] x [(leucophylla x flava rugelii) x purpurea]}

I think I got all the brackets correct.

xvart.

now THAT is a hybrid, DANG. Could hold a few more down the line, making it the All-Sarr

I have a ridiculous antho-free cross of several species- not sure of the parentage exactly, not even sure if I'm "allowed" to properly mention it, but it's a really silly looking plant made by a friend of mine over several years

I will see if I can find out exactly what it is, I only know it's all antho-free and who is responsible for making it happen

now THAT is a hybrid, DANG. Could hold a few more down the line, making it the All-Sarr

I have a ridiculous antho-free cross of several species- not sure of the parentage exactly, not even sure if I'm "allowed" to properly mention it, but it's a really silly looking plant made by a friend of mine over several years

I will see if I can find out exactly what it is, I only know it's all antho-free and who is responsible for making it happen

You know, you can't post a description like that without posting a picture!

Hey Aaron, How are you fertilizing your Sarrs? You mentioned miracid, are you using it as a foliar or what?

Hey Aaron, How are you fertilizing your Sarrs? You mentioned miracid, are you using it as a foliar or what?

yeah, foliar misting about every other week during summer. about 1/2 scoop/gallon.

Back