User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most hardy Sarracenia for a northern bog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think S. minor probably wouldn´t do so well.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the flip side, my Sarrs -- including my purpurpea -- didn't survive the winter here in Twin Falls ID... which is either 5 or 6 depending on who you ask. But then again, mine weren't in the ground, they were in pots out on the porch with no winterization, so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarracenia View Post
    i'd try a few of the more hardy ones for a "test winter" and see how they do.
    The problem w/ this (at least here in NJ) is the variability of our winters. One year, we'll have lots of temps in single digits w/ no snow cover & then we'll get several years where really cold temps are rare. So plants that survive one or 2 winters may succumb the next ... I tended to lose a few plants each winter - naturally my rarer varieties. The people who seem to have success use lots of air-trapping mulch (snow, pine needles, straw, etc). Leaves from deciduous trees tend to compact and form a seal that eliminates any air penetration - frequently killing the plants. (As an aside I had a 'grove' of seed-grown leucos in the bog that came back each year very well ...)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the input guys!
    good stuff to know..

yes, im sure HEAVY mulch is the key..
    I would probably put a 1-foot layer of straw over the bog every winter..maybe 2-feet thick.

this isnt going to be a huge bog, so covering it wont be a big problem..
    im thinking maybe 2 feet wide by 4 or 5 feet long, along one edge of the pond..

I have been thinking about water supply for the bog..
    it would be easy to simply raise the bog a few inches above the water level of the pond, then rely on the pond water to water the bog..but the pond will probably be filled and maintained with the hose (tap water) which wouldnt be good for the bog, so im thinking the pond and bog will have to be totally seperate systems, and the bog can be maintained with rain water.

I also read in one of my CP books yesterday that winter survivability is better if the bog is dryer in the winter..not fully waterlogged..because air in the media is a better insulator that water..which means the bog would need some kind of drain..hmmm..im not sure that is really necessary, but its something to consider..

I better get planning!
    I only have a year to work out all the details..

Scot

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep S.flava, S.alata, S.leucophylla and S.oreophila plus a bunch of crosses outside year round and don't even mulch them. S.minor doesn't survive but all the others seem to have NO problems. P.vulgaris, P.grandiflora and D.filiformis ssp. filiformis also thrive with no special anything.

Oh and I think I'm pretty much 200 miles due west of you so pretty much identical conditions climate-wise
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meadowview Biological Reaserch's catalog noted that S. Psittacina tolerated cold badly. S. Rosea is a species ONLY in the FL panhandle area, which suggests they hate freezing for too long. Same with S. Minor, and S. Alata probably(The cold part, not the panhandle part.). Of the Rubra complex, ssp. jonessii is a mountain plant( Along w/ S. Oreophila) and more cold-hardy than the others. S. Leucophylla is questionable in my book, since I read that they'll decline and die if they don't get a long, hot, summer. This goes for S. Minor too. Of the S. Flava, it goes as far north a VA, so they'll probably do well. S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana is a mountain plant like S. Jonessii, and ssp. purpurea is in Canada! So of the species, S. Purpurea "montana", ssp. purpurea, S. Flava, S. Jonessii, S. Oreophila and maybe S. Leucophylla would do good for ya, along with a mess of hybrids . I only grow S. Psittacina, S. Flava, S. leucophylla, S. Rubra ssp.? and S. purpurea, so I don't have much experience under my belt, but that's my opinoin.

Happy growing!
    Aslan

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S.alata is fine up where I am I guarantee it
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way back in the old old days of this forum (talking like 8 years or so) Dustin (aka nepenthes gracilis) had a thread on his in ground bog in upstate NY and how he over wintered it. I would see if you can locate that thread.

From my personal experience, while I may be in Atlanta we have had some vicious cold snaps these past few winters including a couple weeks where the daily highs were in the mid 20sF. All of my Sarrs survived in my bogs unprotected. No mulch, no sheets, no nothing.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12