User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most hardy Sarracenia for a northern bog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most hardy Sarracenia for a northern bog.

Next Spring, 2010, I think my wife and I are finally going to build our ornamental pond in the backyard..we have it planned out, about 6x8 feet, and 2 feet deep.

As part of the pond, I definitely want to try an outdoor CP bog!
    something I have wanted to try for many years, but haven't had the opportunity to build until now..

Anyone here have any experience with "southern" Sarracenia in northern bogs?
    (im in zone 6, Western NY)
    I know obviously S. purpurea will do fine, and I plan to have some of them, but im also interested in seeing if some southern types will survive outdoors in the winter here, like S. flava or S. leucophylla, or hybrids or whatever..

are there any varieties that are known to be especially cold hardy? any that are known NOT to be? Im interested in ordering some seeds this year and getting them started..maybe grow them for two or three years before adding them to the bog..which should be ready for them by then.

thanks,
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you heavily mulch prior to the severed colds coming in you should be able to. I believe there are a few ppl here from NY that do this. I'm not sure if jimscott has an inground bog or not but he lives in NY as well. I know it can be done, you'll just have to take the necessary precautions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the most cold hardy sarrs are oreophylla, purpurea purpurea, rubra jonesii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you shouldn't have any problems with any of them if they're protected well enough in winter. it's not really the cold that is detrimental, but the dessication. i'd try a few of the more hardy ones for a "test winter" and see how they do. oreophila and it's hybrids would be a good test, Dixie Lace is very hardy, the little bug series does very well for me in WI. if i were to avoid any, it would probably be leucophylla, maybe rosea too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah it seems leucophylla is definitely one of my most cold sensitive plants...doesnt exactly like it cold lol.
    as CPSam stated, Oreophila, most purpurea, ill side with with sarracenia and say probably not rosea, im sure most flava would take it fine.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're worried about winterizing you might want to consult some books on permaculture. It will probably take a little adapting to use permaculture methods for an ornamental pond, but there are a lot of tried and true landscaping and planting tricks for controlling conditions in the garden. Building up walls or mounds to control drafts is a simple one; you can also use a thick layer of live Sphagnum and other low-growing bog plants to insulate your rhizomes. With a few inches of ground cover and a layer of snow, your plants should be pretty well protected from cold air. Also consider that your plants will be considerably more insulated than potted specimens because the soil volume isn't exposed to open air (or, more importantly, wind - even a pot on the ground stays significantly warmer than a pot on a bench or other raised surface.) If you're still concerned, you might put a heater in the pond and circulate the water slowly, but that's expensive and prone to failure.
    As for species, I'd say avoid purebred S. minor - they definitely don't look their best in the cold. S. oreophila is a really good suggestion; mine seem to do their best after cold winters. Low-growing species are bound to show less wear through stormy winter weather, but that may not matter to you if you aren't concerned with having something to look at in the winter.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my bog Flava did the best. purpurea montana died, leucophylla and rubra alabamensis look bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my S. minor, and hybrid S. 'Scarlet Belle' which is leucophylla x psittacina are the only sarrs that don't like it here in canada. all my other ones are doing fine, especially purpurea and oreophila...
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast