Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to CP, new to forum, and in need of sarr advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy New to CP, new to forum, and in need of sarr advice

So I've been growing some carnivores in a terrarium for some time now, and they look pretty great (in my eyes at least; they're pitiful compared to some of the beautiful plants I've seen on here!) I found I really have a thing for Sarracenias, and I would like to grow some more, but I want to to grow them outdoors. However, I think my region has a few problems for this. Could you offer an opinion?

1) Heat: Generally, it stays around 80-90 degrees F around here, but when summer hits, we get heat waves that last weeks and end up putting us well over the hundreds. I don't think my pitchers would be able to survive that. But I don't know. Any advice?

2) Humidity: I know everyone says not to worry about humidity as much I do, but it's bone dry around here; It's quite literally a desert. I mean, I often check the humidity to see it is 0% on the hottest days. Would a well moistened potting medium and a tray of sphagnum around the pot be enough? I don't know, and that's why I'm here.

I would really appreciate any tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may wish to fill out your profile so we can see where in you're located.

Sarracenia like to have dormancy and you're not going to have it naturally from what you've stated. You may have to resort to bringing your sarras indoors where presumably it's cooler and darker and eventually in your fridge for about 3 months out of the year.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, my bad, I was far ahead of myself. I'm in Reno, Nevada, and I'm not worried about dormancy here, it might even be too cold. I'm going to go check my actual zoning.

EDIT: Yup, looks like I'm in zone 6, so they will probably be going into the garage anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So your winters are cold, which is good. As for keeping them outside.... You may have to put some shade cloth outside to protect them from the intense sun. Not sure what it should be, but perhaps one of the SoCal people might be able to offer tips on how they keep theirs.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking perhaps something like that, I'll see if anybody else has any ideas though. Thanks for the help =]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!
    There are many pointers to such a broad a question but the good part is that it CAN be done. There are several growers from Utah on here so you may be able to pick up a couple pointers from threads and fellow growers. Just go digging through some of the threads in the Sarr and bog categories and you'll turn up lost of wonderful info!

If you're feeling lucky check out the trading post; i currently am doing a giveaway for a Sarracenia rhizome AND a how to grow CPs DVD. The DVD actually covers how to grow them in desert conditions. Just find the thread titled Sarracenia giveaway in the trading post and follow the post!
    The only thing I can recommend for combating low RH is a LARGE and deep bog. It'll take more time to dehydrate since there will be more water. Using containers inside of larger containers you can make a nice bog. Brokken has some very nice bogs that may give you some nice ideas and I have some bogs myself. You can take a look at my album in the signature below if you'd like and Brokken has a great 8 pg thread on the ICPS website which I have followed since I started growing CPs.

You'll be surprised how touch Sarrs and VFTs and even Drosera can be! Even in blistering heat!
    All I can say is try and foresee as much as you can and the rest comes as lessons learned.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the warm welcome =]
    That's good advice, I think I'll dig around the forums a bit, see if I can't turn up some good info.
    And I'll be sure yo have a look at your album and certainly your giveaway. Nothing wrong with free plants! =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zone 6 in and of itself ought not be a bad place for them year round even in winter.

As far as your high temps, so long as the plants are well watered then you should have no issues. We get a couple weeks here in the upper 90s/low 100s and all my Sarrs do fine.

Humidity is definitely going to be your main issue and I am more inclined to say that the lack of humidity causing your pots to dry out is the biggest problem I see. Easiest way to beat that is to just make sure you keep the plants watered well. I know a lot of people advocate the tray method but years of growing has shown me that that is an almost certain way to encourage the fungus that causes rhizome melt. I find that potted Sarrs do significantly better when top watered. For you, this might mean you have to water a couple times daily just to keep the media moist.

If you are so inclined you may want to look into the idea of a bog garden. The extra mass of the soil would help to buffer the temps for you and would help with humidity/watering issue as well. I went to bogs a few years back and it has simplified my life considerably.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast