What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea in the wild (blooming)

Went camping this past weekend in the Nicolet National Forest in northern WI. Explored a bog that was full of S. purp. Unfortunately, most of my pics did not turn out well. Here's two that did. I need a new camera....

arethusasarracenia.jpg

A nice shot of the blooms, with the pitchers barely visible. Most of the pitchers were buried under sphagnum, with just the lids and mouth exposed. Also, you'll notice a small pink flower towards the top of the pic.....

arethusa.jpg

It's a dragon's mouth orchid (Arethusa bulbosa). There were several blooming in the part of the bog I explored. I didn't really notice them until I got close, they're not that big and don't have any visible leaves, just a small stalk with the flower on top. I was on my hands and knees looking for sundews, but couldn't find any, which kind of surprised me a little.

I'm heading to the Ridges Sanctuary next weekend, in Door Co., WI. It's a series of forested ridges separated by boggy habitats. The ridges are former shorelines of L. Michigan. There's supposed to be 28 species of native orchids there, as well as pitcher plants and sundews. Hopefully I can get some better pics.

Wow, very nice! Your lucky to be able to see CPs in the wild. Did you see any dews?

Back