What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hybrids.jpg

an unknown hybrid, probably flava x catesbaei, and 'Red Blush' in the background

minibog2.jpg

My oldest mini-bog, in its fourth year. It has all the little bug series in it, but hard to pick some of them out. 'lady bug' is middle-right, 'doodle-bug' is lower-left, 'june bug' is lower middle, 'red bug' is in front of 'lady bug', but seems stunted this year, 'love bug' is hidden by 'lady bug'. alabemensis x oreophila is upper-left, x catesbaei F2 is upper-middle, (oreophila x flava) x leucophylla is upper-right. the flower is from a x wrigleyana, and oreophila x willisii is just left of the middle.

minibog1.jpg

my second-oldest mini-bog, in it's 3rd year. x catesbaei in the back, 'judith hindle' in the middle, (rubra x oreophila) x purpurea immediately left of the x catesbaei, oreophila middle-right, purpurea x courtii is lower-left, and wilkerson's red x flies demise is lower-right. there's 4 others in there that aren't really visible in the pic. there's a (rubra x oreophila) x (purpurea x flava) that mostly died but is coming back now, just seedling size. there's a minor x psittacina that is just starting to send up pitchers now, and there's 1 unknown hybrid seedling in there, and a larger unknown, x mitchelliana-ish hybrid behind the oreophila.

The white flowers are Baptisia leucantha, with Queen-of-the-Prairie getting ready to bloom behind it.

Very nice! Great looking bogs!

I swear the hybrid in the first pic, looks like an all green abandoned hope. o.o

Good stuff my friend, love your photos!

I swear the hybrid in the first pic, looks like an all green abandoned hope. o.o
yeah, it is an interesting plant. by all appearances it looks antho-free, but it's flowers look like pure flava and the developing pitchers do have some olive-colored pigment that apparently disappears by the time they inflate. a small amount of pigment remains at the base of the pitchers. it didn't flower this year for some reason, probably because of our dreadful winters.

How big are those containers, btw?

Awesome bogs/pictures. I love the larger, older bog pots. They seem to develop more character as they fill out, as is clearly visible in yours.

Incredible bogs. :) I really like the second-oldest.

Nice and cluttered. :)

How big are those containers, btw?
i'm not even sure. i'm at work right now (don't tell i'm on the internet!), so i can't measure, but i'd guess about 3.5 feet in diameter, maybe 10 inches deep. i got them at a farm supply store, meant for animal feeding.

Incredible bogs. :) I really like the second-oldest.
me too, it's not overgrown with weeds yet, like the oldest.

Nice and cluttered. :)
yeah, i have a bad habit of overcrowding things, even our regular garden, my wife complains all the time I plant stuff too close together. i guess she's right, she's a botany professor.

They look awesome

Back