What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this pod doing anything?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
It's been a few weeks since I hand pollinated these:

Picture007-7.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Today, one of these pods looks like this:

Picture022-1.jpg

Is it swelling or is too early to tell?

Looks to me like your a good bee.

Jimscott's gonna have some little Darlingtonia babies running around!

Looks preggers to me.

Good! Finally! I know what goes where but just don't do well at getting the gametes together. I'm hoping the critters will get to the porch and take care of the Sarracenias. One thing I've noticed is that different species open up flowers, days apart. So there shouldn't be much in the way of cross-pollination.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but swelling doesn't indicate a successful pollination. Until you open up in the fall, you won't know if you have 0, 1 or 200 seeds.

Is it normal for the pods to turn upward?

Yep. That means that they have been pollinated successfully.

It Ain't Necessarily So...

No seed in this one...
P7250020.jpg

I guess I'll have to wait. Believe it or not, this is the first season I've ever had with Darlingtonia and Sarracenia flowers that have survived past the spring. I don't know what to expect from them or when. Will they dehisce, like a devil claw pod?

The seed capsules will turn brown and eventually split open. Darlingtonia should be ready mid-July on. Sarracenia usually take longer and can usually be harvested around mid-September even if the capsules are not fully brown or splitting open.

A pod just shriveled up and dehisced. So I snipped it and took a look inside:

Picture002-12.jpg

Nice seed, Jim. The odd (but usual for them) shaped seeds remind me of spiked clubs.

I just harvested the other pod, that had dehisced. I counted ~165 seeds. Don't know if it was me or the critters who did the pollinating:

Picture031-3.jpg

Back