Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Darlingtonia: How to tell if I have mountain or coastal?

SF, CA
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Mine just passed through a 90 degree day on Thursday. They were undaunted. They're also well-established. I may also be lucky! So is mine the mountain form?
    Not necessarily . . .

In both habitats, Darlingtonia experiences similarly high temperatures during Summer months. One site in California, near the Oregon border and even within sight of the coast was well over 39˚C (102˚F) when last I saw it in July 2004. Theoretically, the alpine form is just a bit more forgiving of those Tbs; but I've noticed no real difference under cultivation.

Again, it is primarily a matter of keeping the roots reasonably cool; provided that that can be arranged, the vegetation itself can withstand far greater Tbs. A large pot -- preferably terracotta -- frequently watered, with an airy open compost of live sphagnum, pumice and perlite will offer sufficient volume and aeration to offset any Summer heat . . .

I gave a friend in Austin, Texas -- no stranger to heat extremes -- a number of coastal Darlingtonia some years ago; and they are flourishing under his care, a few planted in terracotta pots and some in a bog garden in his backyard.

I believe that the whole distinction between alpine and coastal forms of Darlingtonia is spurious, and is more an effort at marketing than anything else . . .

Darlingtonia californica
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Los Angeles, CA
    4 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll agree with you on these points, especially the last one.

On a further note regarding more vigorous growth Ivan Snyder says there is a population of the "coastal" group that grows more vigorously then most of the others.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Twin Falls, ID, USA
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
    I live not too far from you and have successfully grown Darlingtonia from several locations for a number of years. They have withstood the very hot temps and dry air typical of the summers in this region. The temperature usually cools significantly at night which is very helpful. I wouldn't worry too much as long as they are shaded in the hotter afternoon hours. The styrofoam planters you are using will probably be beneficial in keeping more stabilized root temps.
    Wow, do you leave them out for the winter? My intent is to scoop mine out of the pot and into a ziploc baggie for fridge winter around October, given how many plants didn't make it last winter...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123