What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia: How to tell if I have mountain or coastal?

I just received a cobra lily, and while researching how to care for it, I discovered there are 2 varieties. How do I tell which one I have? The website I bought it from didn't have anything, and they only offered different sizes, not different types.

I have heard that the mountain variety has more of a flared "tongue" than the coastal one.

Other than that, I don't think there is any way to tell.

Good luck with it!

Anyone know what type a certain Californian online nursery sells? Mine is doing fine outside in the sun I have for it, but the temperatures' still ramping up...

I'm not sure, but try contacting Peter.

Did you try asking the vendor you got them from which one they are? If they don't know, ask them who thier supplier is and try to trace it back to the source. Hopefully, someone will know.

Anyone know what type a certain Californian online nursery sells? Mine is doing fine outside in the sun I have for it, but the temperatures' still ramping up...

The Darlingtonia from the coast are the far more common variety and the ones generally sold by the anonymous nursery in Northern California . . .

If you dont know, its coastal. That way, if by some freak chance its mountain, all youre doing is making it extremely comfortable. Treat it like a coastal, and you'll have a happy camper-plant. :)

Now I'm confused. Which one is the one that dies if you sneeze too loudly around it? :)

(Costal's the easier one to raise, right? The one that's not expecting 50 degree roots all the time?)

Now I'm confused. Which one is the one that dies if you sneeze too loudly around it? :)

(Costal's the easier one to raise, right? The one that's not expecting 50 degree roots all the time?)

Nope, you have it backwards. Mountain is the easier one.

If it isn't labeled in regards to location or coming from a mountain population then there is no way to distinguish between populations. Unless you have anthocyanin free plant (yellow flowers) aka Darlingtonia 'Othello' which are only found in one site in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Technically the groups from the coastal and mountain regions do not qualify as varieties or forms. See BobZ's post on this subject on the ICPS board:

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=northamerica&action=display&thread=2845&page=1#18448

Nope, you have it backwards. Mountain is the easier one.

That's somewhat of a bold statement to make. From what gets passed around on the boards it appears the mountain populations are more tolerant of temperature extremes and are more vigorous growers. It is altogether possible that the mountain populations have a colder dormancy requirement and in the long run (4-5 years+) may be more difficult to grow if you cannot provide them with cold enough winters. Barry Rice acknowledges this even though there are no known studies in this reqards.

If you aree unable to provide root cooling or a significant nightly temperature drop and a cold dormancy you are probably going to find it difficult to grow any Darlingtonia.

Can you tell which this is?

Picture-3.jpg

For comparisons sake...

Coastal Form

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg

Mountain Form

DSC_0626.jpg

DSC_0599.jpg

DSC_0604.jpg

As far as I can see the only difference is the coastal form is much more colorfull than the mountain form in most cases.

That's somewhat of a bold statement to make. From what gets passed around on the boards it appears the mountain populations are more tolerant of temperature extremes and are more vigorous growers. It is altogether possible that the mountain populations have a colder dormancy requirement and in the long run (4-5 years+) may be more difficult to grow if you cannot provide them with cold enough winters. Barry Rice acknowledges this even though there are no known studies in this reqards.

If you aree unable to provide root cooling or a significant nightly temperature drop and a cold dormancy you are probably going to find it difficult to grow any Darlingtonia.

I was just going under the normal belief that the mountain variety tends to be the more vigorous and tolerant one.
I was being general about it since most people would have said the same thing.

The alpine variety of Darlingtonia does see greater temperature extremes just due to its specific environment, and may prove to be more vigorous for some growers when kept in more arid locales; whether either form differs in color is more due to exposure than any differences between the plants. I have Darlingtonia whose source was the Western Sierra in California and those from coastal Oregon; and, aside from a time lag of a couple of weeks in the arrival of Spring growth of the alpine form, there is no way to tell . . .

My worry is over the next 3 months, as daytime temperatures hit 95-105, coming home to see a rapidly declining Darlingtonia on my porch...

outside-now.jpg

I keep them in deep saucers topped off (although I do try to let them dry out between waterings to avoid root rot) and have the Darlingtonia in pure LFS, so... we'll see. :)

My worry is over the next 3 months, as daytime temperatures hit 95-105, coming home to see a rapidly declining Darlingtonia on my porch...

I keep them in deep saucers topped off (although I do try to let them dry out between waterings to avoid root rot) and have the Darlingtonia in pure LFS, so... we'll see. :)

I keep my Darlingtonia in unglazed terracotta pots and in constantly-flooded trays -- and never allow them to dry out between watering. I would suggest the same watering method, considering the high Summer Tbs . . .

I keep my Darlingtonia in unglazed terracotta pots and in constantly-flooded trays -- and never allow them to dry out between watering. I would suggest the same watering method, considering the high Summer Tbs . . .

My pots are insulated foam pots (a misguided attempt to winterize them)... I am hoping that will help them with high temperatures too -- or it will act as a pressure cooker and kill them dead. Who knows? :)

Mcantrell-
I live not too far from you and have successfully grown Darlingtonia from several locations for a number of years. They have withstood the very hot temps and dry air typical of the summers in this region. The temperature usually cools significantly at night which is very helpful. I wouldn't worry too much as long as they are shaded in the hotter afternoon hours. The styrofoam planters you are using will probably be beneficial in keeping more stabilized root temps.

I think that the best advice is to do anything which will keep the roots cool -- both by day and night. A cool water tray and / or watering with refrigerated water during the hottest days will ensure that the plants survive . . .

Mine just passed through a 90 degree day on Thursday. They were undaunted. They're also well-established. I may also be lucky! So is mine the mountain form?

Back