What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli Help?

I am growing one juvenile H. nutans "Giant". When I got it, the leaves were red and the next 2 that came up for me colored up slightly too. Recently (the last 3 leaves), the new growth doesnt color up at all, and the tips of the pitcher always gets burnt somehow. I'd think that the burning is from the lighting, but the leaves won't color up.
Temperatures are about 78-80 day and night.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

How much/how often do you water it? Sounds like it could be a water issue.

Do you fertilize?

couple questions:
1. what's your lighting, how far from the lights are your plants...is the heat eminating from the lights scorching your plants?
2. circulation, if the hot air is trapped, they might burn from the lights, if they are too close, any ventilation?
3. water, do you water from above, mist them...
4. coloration might mean simply they don't get enough of what they want..light. mine have 2 t5's and are coloring up nicely...6-7 inches (or less) from lights

they appreciate a temp drop at night... that will help for sure

I water from above with cool water, and mist daily. The plant isnt standing in water, but on a brick in a tank with water in it.
The lighting is a compact flourescent, about 3 inches away from the top of the plant. I think it might be a little close, but I was trying to get some of the original color back haha.
There is a small screen area of the top, in an effort to get some circulation.
I fertilized a few times when I first got the plant, but havent in about 4 weeks.

I'm thinking a tube bulb would be better now.

Theres a great carpet of live sphagnum though, so I must be doing something right!

My best guess would be the distance from the bulb. The heat coming off of it is probably too much for the plant.
Try bringing it back away from the light a few inches.

Can you get a temp reading?

The burned edges could also be a low humidity / high temperature issue, and I would definitely try to provide the Heliamphora with cooler Tbs at night. 78-80˚ is well outside the preference range for the plants -- particularly the juveniles, 75˚ being the higher end of Tb spectrum.

My temperatures fall into the fifties by nightfall . . .

Back