What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia Seeds

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
I have some Darlingtonia seeds that have been in stratification for about 3 weeks (put in 6/8/09) and was wondering if it would be OK to sow them tomorrow, about 5 days short of a full 4 weeks (I'm leaving for pretty much the rest of the summer tomorrow). I don't think it should be too much of a problem since plants are never too exact and naturally experience seasonal length differences, but I thought I'd ask since one can never be too sure.

I have already asked for advice on this from a few people, but the number of days in question has increased.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

W00T! 1,000th post!

You'll probably get a better germination ratio if you wait the full four weeks. 5 days is a pretty significant chunk of time if you're only talking 28 days total (~18%). If you don't allow enough time for the inhibitor factors to break down the seeds aren't going to germinate.

How long will you be gone? If it's feasible, I'd maybe try sowing half now and leaving the rest to stratify until you get back.
~Joe

How long will you be gone? If it's feasible, I'd maybe try sowing half now and leaving the rest to stratify until you get back.
~Joe

Haha, you must have posted this right as I was writing.

I'll be gone until around the 16th of August. That would be too long, right?

=I'll be gone until around the 16th of August. That would be too long, right?

I can't believe you're going to miss my birthday and the August LACPS meeting just for a stupid vacation. Bad form man. Bad form.

Jason

On the flip side, I've had some stratifying since March -- think they are still viable? When I seeded the first 1/4th of them in April they didn't take, and when I tried again with another few in early June they... still didn't take. Wondering if I'm wasting my time here. ;)

I can't believe you're going to miss my birthday and the August LACPS meeting just for a stupid vacation. Bad form man. Bad form.

Jason

Thats too bad, I'm missing it too. aww, jason sad.

I gotta sow mine before I leave to San Jose tomorrow. But they dont finish stratifying until 7/3/09. ooh dilema!

Jason

How do you know coming to LA isn't part of the vacation? ;)

Halt- I think we're talking about the same batch of seeds.

How are you stratifying them? On a paper towel? Why not set up a small pot or cup and sow some of the seeds on that (layer of damp chopped LFS on top). Seal it in a plastic bag and pop it back into the fridge. Have your mom take out the pot and put it under lights or someplace where they'll get bright indirect sunlight.

How are you stratifying them? On a paper towel? Why not set up a small pot or cup and sow some of the seeds on that (layer of damp chopped LFS on top). Seal it in a plastic bag and pop it back into the fridge. Have your mom take out the pot and put it under lights or someplace where they'll get bright indirect sunlight.

Brilliant idea! That solves everything.

Thank you!

(They are being stratified on a paper towel)

Yeah, I agree with NaN - that sounds like the best plan. August isn't too far away, but I definitely wouldn't leave them in a sealed, wet bag for that long. A pot with mild air circulation will fair much better.
~Joe

Mine are in a pot, so I can pray like TYD that someone at home can take them out and put them under lights?

Back