Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: help w/ Sarracenia leucophylla

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep it in the pot until you get more soil.
    Leave sarracenia OUTSIDE. They love the sun. Even 120F They'll love it. Most people think sarracenia are sensitive to sun... hmph. bs. Leave it outside in FULL sun, and it'll be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by newtocarnivor View Post
    Crap, turns out I need more soil too! Okay, so I guess I'll order some more soil from you, Andy. But in the meantime, is there anything I can do to keep the plant alive and well Also, I'm sry if this seems like utter negligence to some of you, but for the record I DID NOT order too small a pot. Everything I ordered was a gift from someone else. Right now I have it on a large windowsill, in a tiny pot partially submerged in a distilled water basin.

thanks again for all your help
    You might be able to find soil locally if you want to do it quickly. You'd be looking for Sphagnum Peat Moss and Perlite. Avoid anything fertilized (Miracle Gro is bad for this). I use a brand from the local Fred Meyers called Whitney Farms, works ok.

They also offer a "White Sand" which I *believe* is silica, but I don't dare risk testing it. Their washed river sand turns peat into cement (especially at accidental 1:5 ratios), don't use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it possible to overwater these plants? I repotted my Saracenia in an 8''--seems to be doing welll--and I'm putting it outside for the first time, with a half-filled water basin below the pot. It's raining just a tad right now, and I'm wondering if it would be better to remove the basin when it's outside typically. Hopefully the sun comes out soon! My plant has yet to bask in direct sunlight as you guys advised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You and just about anyone with hands and time enough to take the literature of website forums seriously. again, I just don't know Andy like you do, but I'm sure he's a swell guy, and very much a green-thumbed guru.
    NTC,

Maybe I am just reading this wrong but it really rubs me the wrong way. You insult Andy, I point that out and you deflect by saying that myself (and other) have too much time on our hands, that we take literature and forums too seriously and then you call me crazy...

For some clarification:

1) I do not know Andy all that well to be honest. But I do think he is a swell guy because he hosts this site and I think he deserves respect for that.

2) I do not take the literature and forums seriously, I take experience seriously. The people who write the literature are often (though I can think of a couple exceptions) experienced and a great many people on this forum are experienced.

3) Self evidently, yes, I have some free time to spend on this forum... But then again so do you so let the pot not call the kettle black...

Now, put all this together and here is where it stands; when some neophyte comes in and begins trashing the owner of this site (who is a pretty long time CP grower) for a mistake that the neophyte made, I take exception to that kind of behavior. When that same neophyte than fobs it off when it is pointed out that he was out of line and then goes on to further insult people then I get more than a little irked.

I still firmly believe you owe Andy an apology for accusing him of intentionally doing something to screw you over when you are the one that made the mistake.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it possible to overwater these plants? I repotted my Saracenia in an 8''--seems to be doing welll--and I'm putting it outside for the first time, with a half-filled water basin below the pot. It's raining just a tad right now, and I'm wondering if it would be better to remove the basin when it's outside typically. Hopefully the sun comes out soon! My plant has yet to bask in direct sunlight as you guys advised.
    It is possible to rot their roots due to too much water, but what I just do is make sure the saucer underneath has dried out or almost dried out before watering it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you top water and bottom water?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123