What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okay, so I just got a Sarracenia leucophylla in the mail and the champs over at flytrapshop.com sent me the smallest pot imaginable (2.25'') for so large a plant. :crazy: The soil is 1 part long fiber sphagnum 1 part perlite--and that's good, to my understanding--but the root system isn't entirely beneath the sphagnum/perlite. At this point i have my Sarracenia in a small tray next to my window on a cloudy day and, since I'm entirely new to the care and maintenance of pitcher plants, I need information.

1. Does the size of the pot matter? Should I re-repot it so Sarracenia's roots have ample room?
2. Do pitcher plants need to be partially submerged in trays of water like Venus Fly Traps?
3. Is it normal for the leaves/pitchers to lean? I can't keep this dinky little pot upright.
4. This seems dumb but I'll ask it anyway: Do you need to fill the pitchers? Or is there a natural mechanism to that effect?

And yes, I know to use distilled water. The plant is indoors btw, and I live in Cincinnati, OH. Thanks for your help and info, guys. I too think carnivorous plants are unconditionally awesome, and I appreciate all the information ya'll can provide me.

-eric

Hiya, welcome to TF! :welcome:

1. Yes, pot size does matter. A lot. Sarracenias can get huge root systems. I myself have a large plant in a pot that size actually, and it's dandy.
2. Do you mean to keep it on the tray system? Yes, it's recommended for drained pots.
3. It's ok for pitchers to flop, or do you mean the whole pot? I guess it's ok for awhile.
4. No, you don't need to.

If you have anymore questions, try using the search function. Also, when you can, put them outside in full sun.

I would re-pot the plant in a larger container in any of a number of good composts (Sarracenia are not that particular) -- including sphagnum peat / sand, peat / perlite, long fiber sphagnum moss / perlite, etc.

Don't worry about refilling pitchers and place your plant in a water tray. If and at all possible, grow it outside under direct sunlight. Sarracenia --- particularly larger species -- don't do well indoors . . .

Well the pot is in a tray with a couple inches of water. Is that right, or is my plant gonna drown eventually? Also, when can I safely feed it insects?

As David and Capensis said
repot it into a larger pot, it matters..lol
im not sure why Andy would send it in a 2. 25" pot? but pots arent that expensive at say, lowes or home depot...
id personally repot it into a mix of peat/perlite/sand or just peat/perlite.
though i imagine lfs/perlite will be fine....
You should put the plant outside in full-direct sun 24/7 as the plants need to go through the changing light cycle and temperatures to enter dormancy.
Yes, they do better in a tray system with atleast an inch or 2 of water. (Sarracenia get flooded quite frequently in their habitat, and some species even get submerged for a period of time)
Dont worry about filling up the pitchers with anything.
Dont worry about feeding it either
it will catch its own food.

It was sent bare root from the place you got however he puts a small pot around the roots for protection I assume.

It was sent bare root from the place you got however he puts a small pot around the roots for protection I assume.

that makes more sense..
the small pot it was shipped in probably isnt meant to be the "real" pot for the plant..
few plants are shipped in pots with soil anyway..most are shipped "bare root"..
which this essentially was it sounds like..the small pot and bit of moss was probably just meant for protection, and moisture, while shipping..

yes, you should repot it then..
a 4" pot is big enough for one plant, for now.

and yes, trying to grow it indoors is a bad idea..
here is some reading about why:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html

Scot

Hello! Size does matter- even without media I don't think that Sarracenia would fit in the 2.25" pot! I have no idea how you managed to get it crammed in there! My Sarrs are almost always waaay too big for 2.25" and a lot of the time even too big for my 3.5" pots. I sent you a 2.25" pot because that's what you ordered... I have no idea to know what you're using the pot for so thought nothing of it...

Fly Trap Shop Items
1 Sarracenia leucophylla @ $8.95 = $8.95
1 2.25" square pot + media (1 part long fiber sphagnum 1 part perlite) @ $0.50 = $0.50

Sub-Total: $9.45
Shipping: $6.15 (Priority Mail)

Sales Tax: $0.00

Fly Trap Shop Total: $15.60

So the Sarracenia itself comes bare root- and when you go to the pot section the 2.25" pots are recommended for Pinguicula. When you look at the 3.5" pots they are recommended for "Venus Flytrap or if you prefer a larger pot for your bare root Mexican Pinguicula", and finally the 4.5" pots are recommended for "Venus fly traps if you wish a larger pot, but really perfect for Sarracenia"... So if you needed a pot, you really should have picked up the recommended 4.5".

As far as it falling over, I don't doubt it!! That plant is what... 2ft tall? 5 pitchers and a flower? I would most definitely get a larger pot, and some more media as recommended above and get all those roots under the media, I typically get the rhizome just under the media as well.
Welcome to TerraForums :)
Take care,
Andrew

Welcome to TF, BTW!

Welcome to the forums!

While I love my square pots from FlyTrapShop (I use a $2 black seeding tray from Fred Meyer with them, holds 3 3.5"ers to a row and about ... 7 rows?), For now I'd instead throw that plant into a nice glazed ceramic 6"-8" pot and be done with it. :)

My Sarras are mostly outside in a big foam pot from a certain Ranch website, I imagine they are available elsewhere. You can see a picture of my outside setup here. The big pot is a Judith Hindle and a Leuc "Titan". I've heard fully grown Sarrs like 6" - 8" pots at the least, so... yeah. :)

Why inside, btw?

Okay, so I just got a Sarracenia leucophylla in the mail and the champs over at flytrapshop.com sent me the smallest pot imaginable (2.25'') for so large a plant. :crazy:

I sent you a 2.25" pot because that's what you ordered... I have no idea to know what you're using the pot for so thought nothing of it...

So let me get this straight. He orders the pot himself and then trashes Andy for sending him the pot he ordered and then tries to blame it on Andy that the pot is too small? Am I the only one who thinks that maybe the OP might want to offer an apology to Andy? ???

Size of pot isn't all that important. They'll be happy even when rootbound.

2.25" is an indicator of size of the plant. If you've got a larger plant than the pot size suggested, I'd be pretty happy with that!

I absolutely keep my sarrs mostly rootbound and see no problem with it. But I honestly cannot fathom how the Sarr I sent would even come close to fitting in the 2.25" pot that was ordered... As a mater of fact, I would love to see a picture of that if at all possible newtocarnivor :) My guess is that the roots are in the pot, and the majority of the rhizome is sitting on top of the media. That Sarracenia came out of a 3.5" pot and was pretty rootbound already, I had to use 2 strips of paper towel to wrap the roots for shipping even, that should give a further indication (to pitcher guestament I gave earlier) to the size of the plant...

I don't understand how Alexis is saying 2.25" pot that was ordered is an indicator of the size of the plant I shipped... ???

Andrew

*whistles*

So let me get this straight. He orders the pot himself and then trashes Andy for sending him the pot he ordered and then tries to blame it on Andy that the pot is too small? Am I the only one who thinks that maybe the OP might want to offer an apology to Andy? ???

You and just about anyone with hands and time enough to take the literature of website forums seriously. again, :crazy: I just don't know Andy like you do, but I'm sure he's a swell guy, and very much a green-thumbed guru.

Thanks everbody! I can't wait to watch this thing--tentatively named Professor Leavesly--eat bugs!!! wooo!

Yeah, I'm going for a larger pot today. It does fit, sort of, but I can't imagine the Professor will do well there.

Crap, turns out I need more soil too! Okay, so I guess I'll order some more soil from you, Andy. But in the meantime, is there anything I can do to keep the plant alive and well??? Also, I'm sry if this seems like utter negligence to some of you, but for the record I DID NOT order too small a pot. Everything I ordered was a gift from someone else. Right now I have it on a large windowsill, in a tiny pot partially submerged in a distilled water basin.

thanks again for all your help

Keep it in the pot until you get more soil.
Leave sarracenia OUTSIDE. They love the sun. Even 120F They'll love it. Most people think sarracenia are sensitive to sun... hmph. bs. Leave it outside in FULL sun, and it'll be fine.

Crap, turns out I need more soil too! Okay, so I guess I'll order some more soil from you, Andy. But in the meantime, is there anything I can do to keep the plant alive and well??? Also, I'm sry if this seems like utter negligence to some of you, but for the record I DID NOT order too small a pot. Everything I ordered was a gift from someone else. Right now I have it on a large windowsill, in a tiny pot partially submerged in a distilled water basin.

thanks again for all your help

You might be able to find soil locally if you want to do it quickly. You'd be looking for Sphagnum Peat Moss and Perlite. Avoid anything fertilized (Miracle Gro is bad for this). I use a brand from the local Fred Meyers called Whitney Farms, works ok.

They also offer a "White Sand" which I *believe* is silica, but I don't dare risk testing it. Their washed river sand turns peat into cement (especially at accidental 1:5 ratios), don't use it. ;)

is it possible to overwater these plants? I repotted my Saracenia in an 8''--seems to be doing welll--and I'm putting it outside for the first time, with a half-filled water basin below the pot. It's raining just a tad right now, and I'm wondering if it would be better to remove the basin when it's outside typically. Hopefully the sun comes out soon! My plant has yet to bask in direct sunlight as you guys advised.

You and just about anyone with hands and time enough to take the literature of website forums seriously. again, :crazy: I just don't know Andy like you do, but I'm sure he's a swell guy, and very much a green-thumbed guru.

NTC,

Maybe I am just reading this wrong but it really rubs me the wrong way. You insult Andy, I point that out and you deflect by saying that myself (and other) have too much time on our hands, that we take literature and forums too seriously and then you call me crazy...

For some clarification:

1) I do not know Andy all that well to be honest. But I do think he is a swell guy because he hosts this site and I think he deserves respect for that.

2) I do not take the literature and forums seriously, I take experience seriously. The people who write the literature are often (though I can think of a couple exceptions) experienced and a great many people on this forum are experienced.

3) Self evidently, yes, I have some free time to spend on this forum... But then again so do you so let the pot not call the kettle black...

Now, put all this together and here is where it stands; when some neophyte comes in and begins trashing the owner of this site (who is a pretty long time CP grower) for a mistake that the neophyte made, I take exception to that kind of behavior. When that same neophyte than fobs it off when it is pointed out that he was out of line and then goes on to further insult people then I get more than a little irked.

I still firmly believe you owe Andy an apology for accusing him of intentionally doing something to screw you over when you are the one that made the mistake.

Back