Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help w/ Sarracenia leucophylla

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help w/ Sarracenia leucophylla

Okay, so I just got a Sarracenia leucophylla in the mail and the champs over at flytrapshop.com sent me the smallest pot imaginable (2.25'') for so large a plant. The soil is 1 part long fiber sphagnum 1 part perlite--and that's good, to my understanding--but the root system isn't entirely beneath the sphagnum/perlite. At this point i have my Sarracenia in a small tray next to my window on a cloudy day and, since I'm entirely new to the care and maintenance of pitcher plants, I need information.

1. Does the size of the pot matter? Should I re-repot it so Sarracenia's roots have ample room?
    2. Do pitcher plants need to be partially submerged in trays of water like Venus Fly Traps?
    3. Is it normal for the leaves/pitchers to lean? I can't keep this dinky little pot upright.
    4. This seems dumb but I'll ask it anyway: Do you need to fill the pitchers? Or is there a natural mechanism to that effect?

And yes, I know to use distilled water. The plant is indoors btw, and I live in Cincinnati, OH. Thanks for your help and info, guys. I too think carnivorous plants are unconditionally awesome, and I appreciate all the information ya'll can provide me.

-eric

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya, welcome to TF!

1. Yes, pot size does matter. A lot. Sarracenias can get huge root systems. I myself have a large plant in a pot that size actually, and it's dandy.
    2. Do you mean to keep it on the tray system? Yes, it's recommended for drained pots.
    3. It's ok for pitchers to flop, or do you mean the whole pot? I guess it's ok for awhile.
    4. No, you don't need to.

If you have anymore questions, try using the search function. Also, when you can, put them outside in full sun.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would re-pot the plant in a larger container in any of a number of good composts (Sarracenia are not that particular) -- including sphagnum peat / sand, peat / perlite, long fiber sphagnum moss / perlite, etc.

Don't worry about refilling pitchers and place your plant in a water tray. If and at all possible, grow it outside under direct sunlight. Sarracenia --- particularly larger species -- don't do well indoors . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the pot is in a tray with a couple inches of water. Is that right, or is my plant gonna drown eventually? Also, when can I safely feed it insects?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As David and Capensis said
    repot it into a larger pot, it matters..lol
    im not sure why Andy would send it in a 2. 25" pot? but pots arent that expensive at say, lowes or home depot...
    id personally repot it into a mix of peat/perlite/sand or just peat/perlite.
    though i imagine lfs/perlite will be fine....
    You should put the plant outside in full-direct sun 24/7 as the plants need to go through the changing light cycle and temperatures to enter dormancy.
    Yes, they do better in a tray system with atleast an inch or 2 of water. (Sarracenia get flooded quite frequently in their habitat, and some species even get submerged for a period of time)
    Dont worry about filling up the pitchers with anything.
    Dont worry about feeding it either
    it will catch its own food.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was sent bare root from the place you got however he puts a small pot around the roots for protection I assume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by denverone View Post
    It was sent bare root from the place you got however he puts a small pot around the roots for protection I assume.
    that makes more sense..
    the small pot it was shipped in probably isnt meant to be the "real" pot for the plant..
    few plants are shipped in pots with soil anyway..most are shipped "bare root"..
    which this essentially was it sounds like..the small pot and bit of moss was probably just meant for protection, and moisture, while shipping..

yes, you should repot it then..
    a 4" pot is big enough for one plant, for now.

and yes, trying to grow it indoors is a bad idea..
    here is some reading about why:
    http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html

Scot

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello! Size does matter- even without media I don't think that Sarracenia would fit in the 2.25" pot! I have no idea how you managed to get it crammed in there! My Sarrs are almost always waaay too big for 2.25" and a lot of the time even too big for my 3.5" pots. I sent you a 2.25" pot because that's what you ordered... I have no idea to know what you're using the pot for so thought nothing of it...

Fly Trap Shop Items
    1 Sarracenia leucophylla @ $8.95 = $8.95
    1 2.25" square pot + media (1 part long fiber sphagnum 1 part perlite) @ $0.50 = $0.50

Sub-Total: $9.45
    Shipping: $6.15 (Priority Mail)

Sales Tax: $0.00

Fly Trap Shop Total: $15.60
    So the Sarracenia itself comes bare root- and when you go to the pot section the 2.25" pots are recommended for Pinguicula. When you look at the 3.5" pots they are recommended for "Venus Flytrap or if you prefer a larger pot for your bare root Mexican Pinguicula", and finally the 4.5" pots are recommended for "Venus fly traps if you wish a larger pot, but really perfect for Sarracenia"... So if you needed a pot, you really should have picked up the recommended 4.5".

As far as it falling over, I don't doubt it!! That plant is what... 2ft tall? 5 pitchers and a flower? I would most definitely get a larger pot, and some more media as recommended above and get all those roots under the media, I typically get the rhizome just under the media as well.
    Welcome to TerraForums
    Take care,
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast