What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

were can these plants be found?

Chomp

Oops
I've heard of CP's that eat mice or rats.(usually pitchers) Is there a place that sells them?

1. The obly documented CP's that can do that are large species of Nepenthes (tropical Pitcher plants) Species such a rajah, and truncata.

2. They don't really eat them in the wild, only rajah has be document to naturally catch a rodent, without human intervention.

3. If you did find a reasonably sized one, i don't see why'd you do it as the smell of rotting flesh would be horrible.

4. We can't mention other vendors, store, or online seller so....yeah.

thanx carnivoure12. I did once hear of a fly trap that occasionally eats rodents(with the help of people). I'll look up those Nepenthes.

The mammal-eating carnivorous plant thing is a bit of a myth. If you're looking for nice and big, impressive plants though, that's a different question. :)

Stuff like Drosera filiformis, Drosera dichotoma 'Giant', Sarracenia leucophylla "titan", Darlingtonia, P. x 'Titan', etc etc all grow fairly large. None of them would eat a rat, but they'd sure put a dent in an ant colony or a wasp nest. :)

Umm there's no VFT big enough to eat a rodent... Theres also no such thing as the carnivorous tree of madagascar.

Chomp those aren't called venus flytraps, they are called pitcher plants thats a nepenthes. Only the plant in your avatar is called Venus Flytrap.

there are fly traps that have traps wider than your hand.

I know that I have CP's that are theat big, but the biggest a Venus flytrap (dionaea) can get is about 2 inches per trap

why would i not know what a fly trap is?Is that supposed to be an insult? :suspect:

No I'm saying that the plant in your avatar is called a venus flytrap, and the the one in a video is called a pitcher plant. We don't really call pitcher plants flytraps. Because when you say flytrap i get the idea thet you mean venus flytrap.

i hope that didn't sound to serious. but really, what made you think i didn't know?

Because you kept calling the pitcher plant a fly trap which it is, but its better if you call it a pitcher plant, then we'll kknow which one you're talking about. :)

Wild nectar-sucking white mice infest people's people's greenhouses all the time. :crazy:
LOL

But seriously, arguments could easily be avoided if everyone used proper scientific names. Common names, aside from "vft," because there is only one "vft," can apply to multiple plants, sometimes of a completely different genus or family.

Agreed, Dart. Flytrap is extremely too general. Also, since it's in the name "Venus FLYTRAP," I would think that you're talking about VFTs. Since you said, "There are fly traps that are wider than your hand," it sounded like you were talking about VFTs, but you really meant the pitcher plant, since it's technically a fly trapper. But it's ok, you're still learning. Even if you have been exposed to CPs already. :) I'm not sure about you, but it blew my mind of how little I knew till I joined the forums. Not saying that you don't know anything.

We usually refer Dionaea as VFT,
Sarracenias (American Pitcher Pants) we refer as Sarrs,
Nepenthes (Asian Pitcher Plants) as Neps,
Etc. We just nickname them by their scientific name. We don't really use common names here on the forums. Just a heads up. ;)

Yeah lets avoid this whole argument before it starts up with anything serious with some size records that i know, as well as a little background info on some stuff....
First off, Carnivoure12- Venus Flytrap has become more of a general name for any carnivorous plant, many times ive taken Nepenthes to school and had students call them Venus Flytraps, most people generally dont know that there are other names like pitcher plants, sundews, bladderworts you know...
Nepenthes - the ONLY nepenthes documented to catch a mammal without the help of a human is rajah? Not true, its happened in greenhouses many times with other large neps, or nep hybrids. However the only WILD documented case is with a rajah, AFIK.
Venus Flytraps (Dionaea Muscipula) - Check out CPUKforum for their largest dionaea trap of the year contest....many people have trouble getting them anywhere near 2"...and those do not eat mammals...the only non arthropod thing ive seen them eat are small frogs/lizards and even then the traps generally rot off.
Sundews - depending on the variety, can range from a small pygmy dew the size of a penny, to say...2 feet in diameter like the mighty Drosera regia. But cannot eat anything near the size of even a small frog. unless it is one of those incredibly tiny ones, dont remember the name....
Pinguicula - like sundew vary greatly however are really no good at trapping anything other than small insects (Ants, flies, gnats, mosquitoes, etc)
Bladderworts - catch microbes or small aquatic/soil insects like say...springtail or daphnea...or larva gnats....or mites even, but nothing big at all. too small.
Sarracenia and Darlingtonia - Sure, can grow a few feet in height given proper sunlight and conditions, but generally eat nothing more than insects from small ants or gnats, to bees or wasps...i have however, found a frog or lizard in a couple pitchers, though its rare for me up here...
Cephalous follicularis - feeds also mainly on small insects and gets nowhere on the large scale, although it clumps up like mad if grown in the right conditions
Heliamphora - also, mainly feeds on small insects, and only one species AFIK has been known to produce its own digestive enzymes, like Darlingtonia or a couple variety of sarrs, it relies on bacteria to break down its food to then absorb it...
You get the general idea, im not going to go any farther LOL i just felt like i should post some long, boring post before i left for a couple weeks tomorrow.
But basically, there is no VFT larger than your hand, there is no VFT that can eat rodents....
if of course, we are actually talking about Dionaea.

EDIT: Pitcher size, to name a few of the largest neps here
N. rajah - known to get around 2 feet on occasions
N. truncata - two varieties, lowland and highland...lowland is the largest AFIK, with a pitcher measured at 24" on the dot from base of pitcher to tip of lid.
N. macrophylla
N. xTrusmadiensis
N. merilliana

and some manmade hybrids that get huge
N. lowii x truncata
N. truncata x xTrusmadiensis
N. xCaeser
N. xPredator get some decent size to it
these are just a few, but youll notice a trend to it....mainly the plants that are listed above, are in the largest hybrids as well.

i was talking about both the venus fly trap and pitcher. maybe i was getting the two mixed up. sorry. and SirKristoff, you made a good point there, and you're right-most people don't know that there are more CP's than VFT.

Sorry guys. didn't mean to start an argument.

(a friend told me that he saw a venus fly trap that was that big. maybe he was exaggerating, but he probably knows a bit more about CPs than I do. so i told him to try out TF.)

Its all good chomp: we've all had the phase in the beginning where we are a little confused about names or things do to myths. in a month or so, you should know alot more...
id pick up a book called "The Savage Garden" for more information on alot of these plants, or you can check out Barry Rice's page at http://sarracenia.com

when i said that i got them mixed up, i ment that when i typed it, i was thinking of both. I've been with these plants for a few years.

Back