Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Struggling ceph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Struggling ceph

I need to ask for some advice and help with my struggling ceph. He keeps on sending out shoots, that turn black, dry up, and died after a while. The rest of my cephs are all doing fine and they are all in the same environment except for this one which is giving me trouble. I media is the same in my watering is the same. Do you think I should dig the whole thing up again?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...han01/ceph.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The soil has to dry out between waterings... so maybe it makes roots and then the part of the roots get killed off then regrows ? :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's odd. Is this Ceph older than your others? It's weird how all the others are doing find but this one isn't perhaps it's another matter like pest or something?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This ceph is probably older than the rest and has matured more. The big difference is the rest are typical but this one is a hummer's giant

I don't want to lose it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I don't think 'Hummer's Giant' or a typical would really need different conditions. Even though I have a Ceph, I don't have much experience. Hopefully an expert will come along.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When was the last time you repotted it? Cephalotus die back is very common after a repot. What is your potting media? Lighting? Temps?
    It can be a number of things. I recommend that when you water, don't let it touch the crown. (Growth point) and let it get a little dry between waterings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would very carefully, with some tweezers gently pry out the dead tissue. And then spray some fresh neem or other safe anti-fungal, and like others said cut back on the watering. Are you doing everything else "by the book", distilled water, no or minimal fertilizer, proper soil, light etc...? I might pull the live sphagnum back, at least temporarily until it recovers, in case it is harboring any pathogens.

Pretty much the same thing happened to one of mine a few months back after moving it from my plant cabinet to a window sill to try and get cooler night temps. I removed the dead tissue from the top of the growth point / crown and it recovered and sprouted like 6-7 new points from the top of the old crown.