What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ripe seed... in July?

Hey guys. The s. minor var. okeefensis(sp?) that I got from Flytrapshop.com flowered for me in the beginning of the growing season. One flower was pollinated and started to swell. A week ago I noticed that the flower had dried out. I assumed that it had died and I wasn't going to get any seed. I looked at it today and saw that the pod had cracked open and there was seed inside. I am straftifying 13 seeds. Are they normally mature by early July?

Hey guys. The s. minor var. okeefensis(sp?) that I got from Flytrapshop.com flowered for me in the beginning of the growing season. One flower was pollinated and started to swell. A week ago I noticed that the flower had dried out. I assumed that it had died and I wasn't going to get any seed. I looked at it today and saw that the pod had cracked open and there was seed inside. I am straftifying 13 seeds. Are they normally mature by early July?

Interesting... Mine (from the same place) recently dried up as well. I've been wondering if there are viable seeds inside or not. I crossed it with leucophylla titan earlier in the season. The leucophylla flower is still going strong.

Jason

I don't know if the flowers were already on your guy's or how the flowering (earliness) compared to your other sarrs.. But remember that my Sarrs wake up about mid to late Feb, so they may be ahead of the train a little bit.
Andrew

I've got a pod that's just browned and opened on a leucophylla. It's not common, but not unknown.

Mine cracked today. Only got 19 seeds, but I think that should be good for my first try.

Jason

I picked a minor seed pod last week. Are they always so tiny? This was the first year mine has bloomed. I also picked two other small pods from other sarracenias and have a total of 27 seeds. I normally wouldn't have checked these but after the first one had seeds in it I just had to see if the others had any.

I should go check my oreophila. I hand pollinated it and bagged the flower with a fine mesh to avoid cross pollination.
Well sometime yesterday a cat jumped on the table where my plants grow and broke the flower stalk and the base.

That sucks D muscipula, cats can be very troublesome.

Hi Mr. Truncata -- I just stumbled across this thread :)
I'm on a little different time frame than others. Flowers for me would be early in the year - end of Jan/Feb and I usually do my crosses around then. I would have pods ripen starting in June or July, and would be able to stratify and germinate in the same year. There's seed I have from June I know is viable and also I harvested quite a few pods a few days ago, here's a couple photos of the pods swollen with seed: :-O

3770456593_6c60ca2b93_o.jpg

and

3771256316_1051384743_o.jpg

Cool, it looks like you got a good seed set. How many flowers did you harvest?

Hey there! So far about 20, with a lot more to come in the next few months :) now just gotta find room for all the babies, LOL :)

Back