User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heliamphora looking rumpled; advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 cents of expert opinion is worth about a million bucks worth of uninformed opinion.

Hunting for some LFS today. Starting to wonder if I should leave the fan on these guys all the time, at least in summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i would leave the fan on low to atleast circulate air, its important to have air circulation....
    Yeah, LFS is found commonly in Lowes or Home Depot, just make sure there is no fertilizers....
    youll notice, when you pot this plant up with LFS, that sometimes you will get little grass like weeds popping up in the moss, remove them....they will grow roots which will suck the water straight out of the LFS and suffocate your plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi SirKristoff,
    As long as you flush the pots with water regularly and leave no standing water in the trays the plants do fine. The perlite also helps prevent rot by increasing aeration. In addition, spores in the LFS eventually germinate producing live moss. But I do hear you loud and clear. If the LFS is packed too densely and the pot is left standing in water too long rot is inevitable. I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out the mechanics.
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I don't like the way the bottoms of the dead pitchers are showing a brown coloration...

I suspect some sort of fungal problem with the plant. As Av8tor stated...the clock is ticking towards plant loss at a rapid rate! I'd gently uproot the plant, clean all dead/brown growth down to the rhizome, throw away the potting media totally and start afresh. It wouldn't hurt to let the plant soak in some RO water after you clean it, just to loosen up any remaining brown areas for total removal. I grow all of mine in live LFS, but dead LFS with a little perlite is great.

Secondly, your plants are near extoliation. You need more light. Even a few florescent bulbs in addition would help greatly. Overwatering combined with not enough light is most likely the biggest contributor to your problem. Also, too much peat in your compost can reap havoc as well and hamper good drainage, which Heliamphora must have in order to thrive.. That's why live or dead long-fiber sphagnum is the best choice, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Brian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Better!

The plants are now happily set in LFS and are under double the lighting intensity as before, and I'm looking into some reflector options to get the most out of my light setup. I am keeping one Heli (off-camera) in the perlite/peat mix as a control to see if it does any better/worse.

Thanks so much for all your help, everyone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123