User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question on watering Sarracenia Purpurea in pitcher?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why then Jimscott

Is it doing so well, the room is at a good temp like a green house in the Summer, it's water levels checked...

i'll shut it down in Oct through the winter... till spring ...

It's lacking rain wind, but the sun's south west facing....

Noddy
    Because if it is grown outdoors you'll get nice fat purple pitchers. Trust me, people don't give out bad advice on this forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr.Truncata... That's not what I am getting at..

So what part of being out side creates the method then in which the purple pitchers...

It's a means of pushing and learning the plant to the extreme... I have a book that says jam jar the VFT plant a long with many other poor info, however I ask learn and watch the plant intently, I see my plant all the time, since I am in the same room as it, most of the time...

There are many methods in which to do something sometimes your lucky move it 2 inches and it will die there's endless, means all I know is that so far it's grown very very well indeed better than I thought.

Image below was 6 weeks before, which was grow outside...

Noddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being outside isnt what will cause your plant to pitcher. It will do this no matter the conditions. Placing it outside allows it to derive the REQUIRED energy it needs in order to grow properly. I have never heard of 'pushing' a plant so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to but they dont exactly grow in a weight room so they dont need to be pushed...as a matter of fact I dont recommend you 'push' your plants, it'll only weaken them.
    Leaving your plant indoors you will start to see etiolation and green pitchers lacking much of the colors that they would attain outdoors.
    I cant recommend enough you take a look at the MANY MANY MANY threads on this forum alone tackling this topic/issue. And if even after you've read up on this you still feel that you can/want to grow your plant indoors, I suggest you buy a 2nd purp but leave this one outside so that you may compare the results.
    We've all been where you are right now, we're just trying to save you the pain of loosing a nice plant.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have deleted the green version of this plant, but this is how it should look:

If you lok at plants in their natural habitat. most of the time they are red. A green plant is one that is not getting enough light. They may look healthy but they aren't at their best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I 2nd Jimscott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys..

Do you think then it will die while being more green.... After all we look nice browned off but does not mean we are not heathly ;-) if we are not.... It's just I saw a chaps the other day he had loads of plants and he's was outside and much the same as mine but it was under cover..

I am happy with it being more green at least the slugs don't eat it ;-)

So do you both think it will die then even though I will put it to rest in oct...

Because to be fair NO PLANT should be indoors... however many of us do... My VFT as you rightly mentioned should be outside however I have deep red traps, they only come with a lot of sun! TRUE... and it's doing really well, so I see that it's heathly why would I need to change it if it's working as it should?

That's all, but thanks for the photo's, good to see...

Noddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wont die just because it is green. The pitchers though will get burnt a bit when you do set it outside but new growth will be adapted to the stronger more intense lighting conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take they die back in winter when the cold zap's them

Wayne

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast