What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is my S. Flava making flowers?

I am Bob

Not really
This Morning when I went out to check on my plants, I noticed two "ball like structures" that were forming on stems (both on different growth points.) I have read that sometimes Sarracenia will produce flowers in late summer if it was drier during the spring or something like that. I don't think that this is it, but if it isn't, what would cause this?

Dunno, when did it come out of dormancy? My alata made flowers at the beginning of July. Just happens, I guess.

I think it came out around march. It tried to flower, but I think it froze and killed the flowers one night. do you think I will get seeds, even though it is already pretty late in the season?

Hi Bob,
I think the reason is right now are flowering season. If you don't like that flower you can cut it.

TranMinh, I believe that flowering season is almost over here. most of my plants that were going to flower this year already did a couple of months ago. that is why this seems odd.

yes, its generally not "flowering season" for sarrs this time of year..
flowering season for sarrs is right after the plants come out of dormancy..
Spring..February-May, depending on where you live..

yes, its a bit late now, but its probably just a quirk of this particular plant..or this particular growing season..
rare, but not unheard of..

personally I would just cut the buds off once they get an inch or so high..

Scot

My S purp just started doing this despite coming out of dormancy months ago. I just removed the stalk at this point.

I went out to check on my seed pods this morning and found this. The plant has a mature seed on it already.
IMG_7958.jpg

Back