What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Cephalotus Follicularis Hummer's Giant Questions

mmorehead

Carnivorous Newbie!
Thank you to everyone for all of your kind replies and help on my previous posts . I greatly appreciate it! I do have some more questions that I know will seem super basic, so I am grateful for taking the time to help this newbie! Previous post: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119132

Some other questions I have are the about the pitcher's themselves. I researched a plethora of websites before it arrived, and found so many different methods of care, that I just want to be sure I do this right. So, I 've been watering it every other day with rain and reverse osmosis water, and I do so around the outside of the pot to prevent rot. It seemed to be a general consensus from my research that they should not sit in standing water. So it is safe to put it in an inch of water and let it dry out one day before refilling? I also needed to know if they like getting spritzed. The only reason I ask is because I often spritz around it because of my vanda orchids. And is its current temp drop from 82 day/72 night suitable?

Also, Should I also be putting water in the pitcher's? And when it comes feeding time, what fish food can I use and how often, which pitcher(s)? The gentleman I purchased it from said that he'd been using chiclid food every couple of weeks. Should I continue that process?

In regard to repotting, how long should I wait to repot?

Sorry for all the questions! I greatly appreciate everyone's help and input. I'm such a newbie!! When I saw this plant, I was so taken back that I just couldn't pass it up. Now I want to do everything I can to help it thrive, and can't decipher which information should be applied from my research. So thank you so much for the help!!!

Many growers try to avoid getting the crown of Cephalotus overly wet, since there is a tendency for rotting and the possible introduction of Botrytis -- but then usually only in poorly-ventilated or stifling environments. If the pitchers have absolutely no liquid inside (perhaps having lost it during shipping), some small amount of water applied with a dropper is beneficial and will prevent the pitchers from withering.

Most of my Cephalotus are watered in shallow trays during the active growing season and I have never experienced a problem with that method. In terms of re-potting, I am generally of the school of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and have several plants which are thriving -- potentially root-bound -- in smaller pots. I simply wouldn't be in too much of a hurry, especially if you are inexperienced with the plants.

I too occasionally (once or twice a month during active growth in the Spring and Summer) feed a couple of the pitchers Hikari Cichlid Staple fish pellets (about the size of BBs) but would wait to feed the plant until it settles in a bit more. Too much food will only encourage algal growth and should really be avoided . . .

Should there be any pest issues, I have found that a light misting of Garden Light Neem II will control most anything unpleasant without unduly affecting Cephalotus.

I went ahead and moved this into the Pitcher Plant/ Ceph forum so you'll hopefully get more views here!

Cole

BigBella,
Thank you so very much for all your help! I am truly gratetful!

Back