What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ceph dividing time

exact same process as my helis....

hg_division1.jpg

hg_division2.jpg

hg_division3.jpg

hg_division4.jpg

kinda reminds me of sweet potatos :-))

Thanks for looking,
Av

or funky carrots o.o hahahhaha
nice plants!

thx SK, expensive veggies either way LOL

WOW!!! Thats one expensive salad. LOL. Thats a very nice Ceph

Lol av, indeed!
BUT divide and conquer with those beauts, you can make your money back in no time ;D

wow, that is a big salad, lol. nice ceph.

It was more of a case of "freshing up the mix" then for the purpose of dividing... I had several more smaller divisions that I didnt photograph.

The media was a couple years old I guess, it was overdue imho.
I remember that thread of yours, very nice indeed!

Av

Lol, the last picture reminded me of a tree or broccoli. Very nice. :)

Runners! :D

very nice as always B! I think I need to divide mine as well. its been 2 years since It has been in that pot and its stalled as well. :(

You're doing a great service, particularly for the benefit of the novice growers here; nothing better dispels the persistent myth of the "spun-glass" fragility of Cephalotus, than showcasing a bare-root specimen sized plant and dividing it up . . .

I divide my plants every two years or so and haven't had a casualty yet . . .

wow now that is one massive healthy plant! How many youngsters did you get by dividing this beautiful monster? A thousand perhaps?;-) thanx 4 sharing:)

thanks for the kind words..

BB, I couldnt agree more.... after all root cuttings are one of the best ways of prop'in cephs imho..

Klasac, actually I only made 6 divisions... I left them mostly intact, 2 large and 4 "small"

I was mainly doing it to refresh the media

Av8tor1,
I have a hard time keeping my cephs alive:(
What do you use for media?
do you use a regular home ultrasonic humidifier in ouyr mini greenhouse?
My new grow tent setup could use more ventalation but that would lower the humidity.
I have one of those blue and white walmart ultrasonics. would that work?
a detailed post with pics of your setup would be great if you ever have the time for that type of thing.
peace,
Zero

Adam,

Im going out of town for a bit in the morning, but when I get back Ill endeavor to take some pics for ya...

but for now, yes that humidifer is perfect.... if it's the reli-on brand it is my favorite (company is no longer in business btw)

I try to keep my cephs at least 60-70% RH with good airflow

My media mix is

2.5p Peat
2.5p Coco fiber
1p Sand
1p APS (replaced perlite)
0.5p Charcoal
0.5p LFS

deep pots

Monthy drench with ampacbiotech.com's trichoderma
Fish pellets once a month and root feedings once or twice a year

There are many well proven techniques, this is how I grow mine

lHTH's
Av

Thanks Butch.
I have been waiting to see your setup:)
I bought a "grow tent" for indoor growing with lots of vent ports and hangers and need to work out a good cheap setup.
It's going to be my propagation chamber

Adam,

Here is a pic of my main rack when i first put it up and fitting the foil panels
emptyplantrack.jpg

Here are the main "mechanicals".... again very simple
humidifier_inlet.jpg

The front was then draped in a clear plastic drop cloth for access

Its a very "utilitarian" basement type setup. Efficient, low cost and easy to work with.

Lights, fans and humidifier are all on the same timer with ground fault protection. Cross airflow and humidification are both constant whenever lights are on

I am in the process of building a new one. I got my "lowes" shelving unit this week. Ive already got the solenoid valves, digi-timer, misting system, drip irrigation systems, electronic temp controls, humidistat, failsafe alarms etc... it will be my uber-rack on 'roids LOL

but with me, it might be another year or two before its done :0o:

HTH's
Butch

Interesting and strikingly similar to my set up ! I must be doing something right. You've given me some ideas too. Thanks !

Back