What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One of the lids on my Ceph Hummer's Giant is closed. Help!

mmorehead

Carnivorous Newbie!
I recently posted some questions about my new Cephalotus Follicularis Hummer's Giant. I've only had it for five days, and I noticed this evening that one of the lids are closed on one of the pitcher's. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this normal? Again, I'm a newbie here. Any help is appreciated!

I recently posted some questions about my new Cephalotus Follicularis Hummer's Giant. I've only had it for five days, and I noticed this evening that one of the lids are closed on one of the pitcher's. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this normal? Again, I'm a newbie here. Any help is appreciated!

The closing of a lid is Cephalotus' common response to excessive heat and/ or lowered humidity; other than that, there may be a lack of liquid within the pitcher or the fact that the leaf is simply older. It may open again of its own accord . . .

Hello there,
If the pitcher isn't turning yellow try filling it with rain, or distilled water and it should open again. If you just got the plant it might have lost what it had in it from shipping. If you just potted it up when you got it, it could be a little stressed.
JMatt

Thanks for the replies BigBella and JMatt! I filled the pitcher with rainwater last night, and when I checked on it first thing this morning, the lid had completely opened overnight! Thank you so very much for your help!!! I was so worried when I discovered that last night! :)

Another quick question I have is in regard to the wilting process. Will the pitcher's fall off on their own? One of the pitcher's was already wilting when I received it. It's still in the process, just not quite finished. And I've had this plant for six days now... should I be feeding it a chiclid pellet soon?

Thanks again for all your help!!! It iis most greatly appreciated! :)

I think its like vfts when they get black they should get soft enough you can pull off w.o using any force.

Thanks for the replies BigBella and JMatt! I filled the pitcher with rainwater last night, and when I checked on it first thing this morning, the lid had completely opened overnight! Thank you so very much for your help!!! I was so worried when I discovered that last night! :)

Another quick question I have is in regard to the wilting process. Will the pitcher's fall off on their own? One of the pitcher's was already wilting when I received it. It's still in the process, just not quite finished. And I've had this plant for six days now... should I be feeding it a chiclid pellet soon?

Thanks again for all your help!!! It iis most greatly appreciated! :)

I would avoid feeding the Hikari pellets until the plant truly settles in and has opportunity to, once again, produce its supply of digestive fluids (lost after shipping); also, when a pitcher leaf wilts, I would hasten to trim it off to avoid any mold growth . . .

Back