User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I feed my Cephalotus?

Carnivorous Newbie!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What should I feed my Cephalotus?

Needing to know how often I need to feed the pitcher's on my Hummer's Giant. Should I feed it Hikari Cichlid pellets, freeze dried blood worms, something else? And how often would you recommend doing so? It's been a little over a week since it was fed Cichlid food from the seller. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hikari pellets in a couple of pitchers twice a month are sufficient. I've tried dried blood worms in the past, though had mold issues immediately afterwards; also, I would split the pellets to make them a bit smaller . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    ... though had mold issues immediately afterwards;
    Yeah - seems to be an issue w/ any food that doesn't sink under the fluid & since it's tough to visually confirm that the food has indeed gone below the water level ....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using Betta pellets - about four pellets per pitcher. I'd guess they are a quarter the size or smaller than the Cichlid pellets. I stopped using the brand I had since they were made in China and I didn't trust the ingredients in them. The smaller size lessens the mold problems.

Now I just sprinkle a bunch of wingless fruitflies into a container and freeze them long enough to kill most of them and feed four to six flies per pitcher. Around 2 or 3 pitchers every two or three weeks. The rest of the flies go to my Drosera.

I will not feed a pitcher without fluid in it. I have never had to add water.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I will not feed a pitcher without fluid in it. I have never had to add water.

It was my understanding that he had just received the Cephalotus and the pitcher fluids were lost during shipping. My suggestion to add water was simply to avoid the leaves withering -- until fluid could be produced on its own . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is these pellets ? can someone say something good to feed them with,.. that is easy to get ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the luxury of growing the majority of my Cephalotus plants outside -- which catch their own prey -- and only occasionally feed the indoor plants a bit of fish food -- small pellet or flake form (any larger pet store chain carries both). Here is a link to Petco:

http://www.petco.com/product/3254/Hi...:referralID=NA

Others swear by dried blood worms, re-hydrated and fed to the pitchers . . .

Carnivorous Newbie!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Fluid Levels?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    It was my understanding that he had just received the Cephalotus and the pitcher fluids were lost during shipping. My suggestion to add water was simply to avoid the leaves withering -- until fluid could be produced on its own . . .
    When it came, the seller had packed wet sphagnum over the top of the pitchers. The pot was placed into a piece of floral foam to keep it secure. It was then carefully placed into a ziplock bag and bubble wrapped.

I didn't know about the flashlight trick to see the fluid levels until today, and as embarrassed as I am to admit, I couldn't tell you if they had had water in them when I took it out of the packaging a week ago... which is why I was putting several drops of rainwater into the pitcher's over the first several days until I learned not to. And I was so thankful for the advice to fill the pitcher that had its lid closed, because it worked!

I know that I'm not supposed to feed the pitcher's if there's no fluid. Is there a specific amount of fluid it needs to have in order to absorb the food? I've read that pitcher's with too much fluid can cause mold issues. Again, your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to help this newbie!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast