Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heliamphora + utricularia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heliamphora + utricularia

Wanted to ask your opinion. Would it be possible to grow a Heliamphora heterodoxa and Uricularia longifolia in the same pot? This is for a museum display, and they are attempting to do a few multiple planted setups that have similar media, moisture and light requirements. If not, are there any other Utrics that might be compatible? I'm looking for South American CP's that wouldn't require a dormancy with the Heli being the focal point. Any information is appreciated, Thanks.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I haven't grown longifolia, but I hear it needs a dry dormancy. I'm sure that the utric masters will give you a few names or suitable species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't sure where to start this thread . I assumed more people are likely to read this section than the Utric section, upping my chances for a response. I think you are right about the dormancy however.

Thanks

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe U. longifolia requires a dormancy period to survive long term. I've only had mine for two years though, and have never induced dormancy; I don't have flowers either however. The dormancy is required for flowers. The only problem I see you having with growing a Heli with U. longifolia is that the U. longifolia will take over and fill the pot. This may or may not have an impact on the Heli. You also may never be able to completely separate the Utric from the Heli when it's time to repot.

Just my 2 cents,
    Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Crissytal. I just read in another thread (sorry, I lost it before I remembered to copy it) that another grower has his longifolia in a Heli medium, LFS, vermiculite and small orchid bark. The moisture levels aren't mentioned however. It sounds like U. longifolia can grow in a variety of conditions. If I did grow them together, would it be wet enough for the Utric?

I had thought of the entanglement that might occur long term, and just thought of another idea. There is a bonsai pot that is designed with two compartments. One side is drained, and the other holds water for a lake effect. (This is becoming an Utric thread) Would the longifolia thrive in the undrained side, letting the water level rise and fall? This would also keep the plants contained.

This can be moved if anybody feels it is in the wrong section of the forum.

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it would be plenty moist enough for the U. longifolia. I always describe watering this Utric like a Nepenthes, which is moist but not soggy. It can survive in a variety of media types. I have found that for me, in my conditions, it grows best in a mix much like you describe with orchid bark, LFS, maybe some perlite and cypress mulch thrown in. I also have some growing in a peat and sand mix. It seems to grow faster in a more open mix like mentioned above (for me).

I don't think you'd need anything fancy like the bonsai pot you describe. U. longifolia can be grown much drier than other Utrics. It's not required that they stand in water and it's probably best that they don't. I'm not sure what to tell you about the entanglement issue. It may not be an issue at all. I guess it just comes down to trying it.

Good luck with what you decide!
    Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissytal View Post
    I don't believe U. longifolia requires a dormancy period to survive long term.
    Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by Crissytal View Post
    The dormancy is required for flowers.
    WHAT? It is absolutely not necessary for flowers. At least for my clone.

Lambdlth,

I have spares of U. longifolia if you'ld like.

But U. nelumbifolia goes really well with helis. I've actually got one with it's tendrils in a helis pitchers, without my help! The tendrils are starting new plants in the heli.. kinda cool.

I've got spares of that one too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw, this utric loves it soggy. It can tolerate dry, but it grows much faster flooded, then drying out a little.

Many people are just realizing some of these macro utrics can take a lot wetter conditions than people generally expect.

Here's my proof:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast