Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Media for Sarracenia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a fan of peat/perlite and have been using them for years with fantastic results. I also throw in a little New Zealand LFS pushed through a 1/4 inch screen. This combo with the perlite gives a nice airy mixture that allows a lot of oxygen to the roots. It's physically impossible for all of perlite to float to the surface even in a heavy rain. It's only the perlite NEAR the surface that becomes dislodged and floats up. If it bothers you, just remove it from the surface. I find that the peat/sand mixture becomes more compacted and doesn't allow water/oxygen to pass freely. Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred P, that makes me feel a little better. But wouldn't we be wanting carbon dioxide to reach the roots, not necessarily oxygen (obviously both are in air)?
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    Fred P, that makes me feel a little better. But wouldn't we be wanting carbon dioxide to reach the roots, not necessarily oxygen (obviously both are in air)?
    To put it simply.... roots don't photosynthesize, so don't really require CO2. They metabolize, and thus benefit from having access to O2. Therefore, having a porous, aerated soil provides O2 for the roots and is beneficial for the plant.

I've used pure peat for some plants and it worked fine. I also strictly top water, so that may also play a part in the success.
    In general, though, I like adding some perlite to the mix. Since my area gets hot summers, I usually add more peat than perlite in the media to increase water retention. Everyone is going to have a different mix that works for them.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    To put it simply.... roots don't photosynthesize, so don't really require CO2. They metabolize, and thus benefit from having access to O2. Therefore, having a porous, aerated soil provides O2 for the roots and is beneficial for the plant.
    Every day's a school day! Thanks. :-)
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    No, you really want oxygen to reach the roots. Everyone knows how important carbon dioxide is to a plant but very few know how important oxygen is to the overall health of a plant. Oxygen helps the roots absorb nutrients at a faster rate and can significantly increase the overall growth rate of the plant. The leaves of a plant have easy access to oxygen. They make it as a natural bi-product and breathe it out as waste during the process of photosynthesis. The roots of a plant do not have the same amount of oxygen available to them. They have to work a lot harder to find enough for their needs. The lack of oxygen at the roots will reduce the plants root respiration and result in the roots turning brown and ultimately shutting down the photosynthesis process. A nice white root system is a sign the plant is receiving adequate oxygen at the root level. A plant’s growth is controlled by the size and health of its root system. It can only grow to its full potential if the roots have enough oxygen for their needs. By top watering, it allows oxygen to be pulled through the soil to the roots. The more porous your soil is, the more oxygen can pass through it. Which was a winded explanation of why I use perlite. These are some of the root systems I unpotted this past winter using the mixture above.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I have used a 1:1 compost of sphagnum peat moss to horticultural sand for several years, since I have a deep, abiding hatred of perlite. Also, that additional "ballast" of the sand prevents the otherwise top-heavy pots from tipping over in the wind . . .

Sarracenia leucophylla cv. "Titan" 2009
    Nice 'Titan' BTW BB.

The first pic above is of my Titan's root system.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I've grown Sarracenia quite well in pure peat or long fiber sphagnum, in mixes also including quartz sand, and the pure evil that is perlite . . .
    We're definitely on the same page!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we're casting votes, I'm a perlite user and I really like it as a medium. It's airy makes the pots lighter, the plants seem to like it just fine. The only drawback is its propensity to float, but that can be easily solved by putting a top dressing of pure sphagnum moss.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use nothing but pure peat moss. I don't sit mine in something that holds water though, and I think I let them dry out more than most people do. But plain peat is what I have always used and it works great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123