What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first cephalotus yay !

Hi hi guy,
I went to Singapore last week and I bring some plants back. But I love Cephalotus most. I still a noob so I don't know much about Cephalotus :-(. Well, I need some advice for my plants :-O. It still live but I don't sure that the plants are healthy.

DSC00726.jpg

DSC00730.jpg

Congrats on the new plant. Wait for Cindy to come around, she's the expert at growing cephs in tropical climates.

Well, it seems a bit too wet, but I guess you watered it right before the picture. If you use the search functions, there are a lot of threads that tell you how to grow Cephalotus.

But Cephalotus do NOT like being waterlogged. If they stay too wet, they'll rot, but they come back to life a lot as well. Usually it's adviced not to wet the crown of the plant, and that you should water around the plant. They like airy soils, like my Cephalotus is in 2:1 perlite and peat. What kind of soil is it in?

What odd little plants in the soil. Is that a bladderwort?

Hi,
Is new potting media from GCS member ( TALOS ) you can water it 2 - 3 times of a day. It is high class aquarium soil. And the Sphagnum moss for increaser humidify !

The media is similar to APS and allows for heavy overhead watering.

Tran Minh, the plant is established in lowland conditions and inclusive of the media used, it is a steal at USD$25 (what you paid for).

Hi Cindy,
Some people said that "black soil" have nutrien, does it true ?

Tran Minh,

Check with TALOS. He will know what the media is exactly like. Anyway, if you top water the plant 2-3 times a day then it would not be a problem even if the media has some nutrients. The excess nutrients will just be flushed out. Anyway, I fertilise my cephs quite regularly so I don't see how a little excess nutrient can be a major problem other than when the plants are grown in an enclosed tank or terrarium.

Since you bought the plant from TALOS, ask him about the conditions the plant was in. The aquarium medium worked well for him, for those conditions. Others' opinions can be very misleading. I can tell you that all my cephs grow in standard peat and sand but there are many local growers who have the plants die quickly in the same mix. Having a different mix or a different watering regime (for example, there are growers who having been standing their cephs in trays of water for 20 over years) does not mean that grower is doing something wrong. Humidity, light intensity and temperature are the other factors that will also affect how the plant does.

Cephs are more hardy than most people expect them to be. Though it is true that they are sensitive to sudden changes but they do adapt to numerous conditions. Bear in mind that there ain't one perfect way of growing them well in cultivation...to me the best way is always for the plants to grow in the wild. ;)

Last edited:
Back