Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No sarracenia flowers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Superplant96 View Post
    I put them outdoors every day and try to give a minimum of 8h of sunlight
    Here's a novel idea....if you have a good spot for them outdoors why not just leave them there to grow rather than shlep them in and out each day? You'll probably end up with a happier plant in the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't do anything to mine and they flower in the spring with no help from me. I have them planted outside and they pretty much thrive on neglect as long as I keep them watered, they don't need anything else from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have NEVER had a S. purpurea flower..in 16 years of growing them!
    no idea why..

And I have other Sarrs that dont flower at all until I have owned them at least 3 or 4 years..
    I think even if they are "adult" plants, it takes several years for them to get established in a new home before they will flower..

It just takes time..

and yes, just keep your plants outside all the time..
    there is no reason to carry them in and out..
    if its above zero degree Celsius, just leave Sarracenia outdoors.
    dont even worry about bringing them indoors unless its below zero degrees C.

Looks like most of Poland is zone 6..a bit cold for overwintering outdoors.
    you will probably have to find a cool indoor place for winter dormancy this winter..

Scot

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to recall there was a member from the Atlanta, GA area that lived in an apartment/condo. He used to post here. The only area that he had with direct sunlight was a public/shared walkway. He'd put his plants out during the day and take them in at night. He either didn't feel comfortable leaving them out or night or it wasn't practical to do so because of increased foot traffic or he didn't want to piss off the homeowners association. Seems like reasonable causes to take them in at night.

Not everybody has the luxury of a yard or some reasonably secure outdoor area where they can grow their plants.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not had trouble with any of mine refusing to flower - even new divisions. I've never gone a year where my plants didn't flower. Maybe I'm lucky in that respect. As a matter of fact, I've often asked if people trim their flowers to promote pitchering. Some say yes, some no - so the veredict is still up in the air.

I point I would like to make is: A division doesn't have to 'settle down' to flower. In most cases, I get flowers anyways, and people that I send divisions to often get flowers from them as well.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    I have NEVER had a S. purpurea flower..in 16 years of growing them! no idea why..
    Wow! I don't think I've heard of that with purps (S. psittacina - sure). This is true with all different varieties of purps or just the northern variety?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12