User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is this normal for a Hummer's Giant?

Carnivorous Newbie!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Is this normal for a Hummer's Giant?

First, let me just say that I greatly appreciate everyone who has given me advice so far in my newest Ceph endeavor! The learning process continues...

I was watering my Ceph Hummer's Giant a little while ago and was enjoying its new growth. But then I noticed a brown spot on the stem of a forming pitcher near the crown. Should this be cause for alarm? Am I doing something wrong? Any input is greatly appreciated!

I've also been noticing a musty type smell coming from the sphagnum. I will be repotting it next week and wanted to know what kind of sphag to use (New Zealand, Long Fiber, etc.) I know it's probably a silly question, but I'm still learning. Thanks again for all your help!

Here are some pictures:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it's new, losing leaves is normal. And I would try not to repot it since it's a bit under stress of the new environment and that Cephs are very sensitives to root disturbance. Also, I wouldn't try 100% Sphagnum. It'll probably rot the plant. Try for something more airy, like a Nepenthes mix with orchid bark or 2:1 perlite and peat. But, a top dressing of Sphagnum is fine. And any Sphagnum will do, but New Zealand Sphagnum is good.

Hope this helps. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take a leaf cutting from the "winter leaf", as a backup.