Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cephalotus help

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to positively identify a fungus is to send a sample to a lab.

It looks similar to what was bothering my Cephalotus for months. Neem oil would only keep it at bay for 1-4 weeks. It started coming back more frequently after treatment - first 4 weeks, then 2-3, then 1 week. Local swabbings with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide along with Neem oil did not eliminate it either.

On the recommendation from another Cephalotus grower from the LACPS I hit it with a sulfur based fungicide.

After one treatment I haven't had a re-occurance of the problem in over six months.

The plant sits on my windowsill near a constantly open window so air circulation is not a problem.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    The only way to positively identify a fungus is to send a sample to a lab.

It looks similar to what was bothering my Cephalotus for months. Neem oil would only keep it at bay for 1-4 weeks. It started coming back more frequently after treatment - first 4 weeks, then 2-3, then 1 week. Local swabbings with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide along with Neem oil did not eliminate it either.

On the recommendation from another Cephalotus grower from the LACPS I hit it with a sulfur based fungicide.

After one treatment I haven't had a re-occurance of the problem in over six months.

The plant sits on my windowsill near a constantly open window so air circulation is not a problem.

Man would it be nice to have my own micro lab, the only unknown I've ever ID'd has been Enterobacter aerogenes in College during my microbio class.

I treated with neem so far both in the plant and on the soil. As for the sulfur fungicide NaN, did you apply as a dust to the top of the pot or through a dilution and allow it to enter the pot via a soak through the bottom?
    I've added a fan to the room that circulates air throughout the whole rack better and a miny fan in the enclosed aquarium to circulate better as well. Now though the temperatures dont drop below 74-75F at nights. I've been looking at a fogger to help bring down night time temps, I imagine that it should help through evaporative cooling? If the room dipped below 75 I would try the windowsill or even cracking the window open but I doubt my Lowlanders would appreciate the night time drops into the mid 50's : /

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F R e N c H 3 z,

When my Cephs get this snowy stuff during the rainy season in November and December, I use the following to good effect. http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/content.../0199758_l.jpg Not sure if you are able to get the exact same product but one that has a similar chemical component will work as well.

IMHO As for dropping the night temperatures, it is not necessary. All my Cephs grow side-by-side lowland Neps at my balcony year round. The nights do not go below 75-77F.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    F R e N c H 3 z,

When my Cephs get this snowy stuff during the rainy season in November and December, I use the following to good effect. http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/content.../0199758_l.jpg Not sure if you are able to get the exact same product but one that has a similar chemical component will work as well.

IMHO As for dropping the night temperatures, it is not necessary. All my Cephs grow side-by-side lowland Neps at my balcony year round. The nights do not go below 75-77F.
    Thanks Cindy
    No I was not able to find the same product but I do have some powder sulfur fungicide on hand and some neem oil which seems to have done the trick after 2 or 3 good sprays.
    What highs do your temperatures reach during the day Cindy? On warmer days the room reaches about 88-90 degrees which is why I figured a temperature drop would be needed. If they're not a necessity even with warmer day temps then I'll stick with the regular room temperature drop.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The day temperatures ranged between 33 to 35C (91-95F). Night temperatures were around 27-29C (81-84F).
    Cindy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12