What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus help

Some of my new Cephalotus pitchers are developing with some white sediment looking material on them. It almost looks like a calcium deposit but the water I'm using is distilled so this cant be it. Is this normal of new pitchers or is it some fungus due to lack of circulation of air?
I'll post a picture later tonight unless someone knows exactly what I'm referring to. Hopefully some of you more experienced Ceph growers can give me a hand. Thanks!

Here are a few close ups of the developing pitchers and a leaf tucked in the middle, looks like a lack of air circulation seems to be the problem but I'm uncertain.
IMG_2441.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

I sprayed with diluted Consan20 on a test pitcher but it looks like it did more harm then good : /
IMG_2445.JPG_595.jpg

And I dont think I'm keeping the soil too wet either, though at night I place the pot in an enclosed aquarium with 3 frozen water bottles to bring down the temps to around 65F. Higher RH and no air circulation since the aquarium is enclosed
IMG_2448.JPG

And using this link as a comparison, http://www.aqph26.dsl.pipex.com/Resources/Cephalotus-with-botrytis.jpg , it didnt look like Botrytis though I could very well be wrong since the right conditions seem to be there.

Some of my new Cephalotus pitchers are developing with some white sediment looking material on them. It almost looks like a calcium deposit but the water I'm using is distilled so this cant be it. Is this normal of new pitchers or is it some fungus due to lack of circulation of air?
I'll post a picture later tonight unless someone knows exactly what I'm referring to. Hopefully some of you more experienced Ceph growers can give me a hand. Thanks!

A photo would be helpful; but lacking that, it sounds like there may be a fungal issue, perhaps Botrytis. If that is the case, I would suggest ventilating the plant, easing back on the watering, and spraying the pot with Green Light Neem II (and perhaps applying some product directly to the affected patches with a cotton swab) . . .

Thanks for the input BB, I was really hoping you would be one of those ppl to chime in on this. I've just added some pics.

I second the neem approach. I've only heard positive things about it being used on cephs.

I sprayed mine down with it just about every month during spring and the beginning of summer to prevent pests and and any diseases. It never reacted poorly to it... Actually, I'm tempted to say I saw an increase in growth.

Hmm neem it is then. I'll give it a nice spray in the morning and from now on stay away from the Consan20 for Cephs. Thanks Dart, any idea as to what it actually is? Botrytis?

And I dont think I'm keeping the soil too wet either, though at night I place the pot in an enclosed aquarium with 3 frozen water bottles to bring down the temps to around 65F. Higher RH and no air circulation since the aquarium is enclosed

And using this link as a comparison, http://www.aqph26.dsl.pipex.com/Resources/Cephalotus-with-botrytis.jpg , it didnt look like Botrytis though I could very well be wrong since the right conditions seem to be there.

It is probably Botrytis after all. The photo on that site is a far-advanced case (think of the difference between first versus third degree burns and go from there), though it can begin as those ash-like patches.

I would first apply the Neem II by swab to the affected areas, gently removing as much of the mold as possible and then spraying the whole pot -- compost included. Also, ventilation is a primary concern with Cephalotus. Botrytis seldom strikes under conditions of efficient air circulation . . .

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll make sure to apply thoroughly!

Hmm neem it is then. I'll give it a nice spray in the morning and from now on stay away from the Consan20 for Cephs. Thanks Dart, any idea as to what it actually is? Botrytis?

np!

It looks like it could be Botrytis, but then at the same time it could just be some harmless wispy mold. Either way, the neem should take care of it.
(I've been fortunate enough (knock on wood) to never experience any problems with my ceph, so I don't want to actually diagnose anything.)

If you don't see any results from the first application, try reapplying about a week later.

Edit: Bella beat me to it.

The only way to positively identify a fungus is to send a sample to a lab.

It looks similar to what was bothering my Cephalotus for months. Neem oil would only keep it at bay for 1-4 weeks. It started coming back more frequently after treatment - first 4 weeks, then 2-3, then 1 week. Local swabbings with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide along with Neem oil did not eliminate it either.

On the recommendation from another Cephalotus grower from the LACPS I hit it with a sulfur based fungicide.

After one treatment I haven't had a re-occurance of the problem in over six months.

The plant sits on my windowsill near a constantly open window so air circulation is not a problem.

The only way to positively identify a fungus is to send a sample to a lab.

It looks similar to what was bothering my Cephalotus for months. Neem oil would only keep it at bay for 1-4 weeks. It started coming back more frequently after treatment - first 4 weeks, then 2-3, then 1 week. Local swabbings with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide along with Neem oil did not eliminate it either.

On the recommendation from another Cephalotus grower from the LACPS I hit it with a sulfur based fungicide.

After one treatment I haven't had a re-occurance of the problem in over six months.

The plant sits on my windowsill near a constantly open window so air circulation is not a problem.

Man would it be nice to have my own micro lab, the only unknown I've ever ID'd has been Enterobacter aerogenes in College during my microbio class.

I treated with neem so far both in the plant and on the soil. As for the sulfur fungicide NaN, did you apply as a dust to the top of the pot or through a dilution and allow it to enter the pot via a soak through the bottom?
I've added a fan to the room that circulates air throughout the whole rack better and a miny fan in the enclosed aquarium to circulate better as well. Now though the temperatures dont drop below 74-75F at nights. I've been looking at a fogger to help bring down night time temps, I imagine that it should help through evaporative cooling? If the room dipped below 75 I would try the windowsill or even cracking the window open but I doubt my Lowlanders would appreciate the night time drops into the mid 50's : /

F R e N c H 3 z,

When my Cephs get this snowy stuff during the rainy season in November and December, I use the following to good effect. http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0199758/0199758_l.jpg Not sure if you are able to get the exact same product but one that has a similar chemical component will work as well.

IMHO As for dropping the night temperatures, it is not necessary. All my Cephs grow side-by-side lowland Neps at my balcony year round. The nights do not go below 75-77F. :)

F R e N c H 3 z,

When my Cephs get this snowy stuff during the rainy season in November and December, I use the following to good effect. http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0199758/0199758_l.jpg Not sure if you are able to get the exact same product but one that has a similar chemical component will work as well.

IMHO As for dropping the night temperatures, it is not necessary. All my Cephs grow side-by-side lowland Neps at my balcony year round. The nights do not go below 75-77F. :)

Thanks Cindy:)
No I was not able to find the same product but I do have some powder sulfur fungicide on hand and some neem oil which seems to have done the trick after 2 or 3 good sprays.
What highs do your temperatures reach during the day Cindy? On warmer days the room reaches about 88-90 degrees which is why I figured a temperature drop would be needed. If they're not a necessity even with warmer day temps then I'll stick with the regular room temperature drop.

The day temperatures ranged between 33 to 35C (91-95F). Night temperatures were around 27-29C (81-84F).

Back