What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mealybugs on Hummer's Giant! Help!

mmorehead

Carnivorous Newbie!
I ordered an Orchid which was infested with mealybugs. Needless to say, I am very upset with the vendor. I've had my Ceph Hummer's Giant sitting right next to it over the past couple of weeks and noticed for the first time last night that I had a major bug problem, thanks to that orchid.

I know I can use alchohol for my orchids, but I am clueless on how to safely remove them from the Ceph. And is there anything I need to do for the roots? Any help would be greatly appreciated on how to remove these pests.

Thanks in advance!!

I ordered an Orchid which was infested with mealybugs. Needless to say, I am very upset with the vendor. I've had my Ceph Hummer's Giant sitting right next to it over the past couple of weeks and noticed for the first time last night that I had a major bug problem, thanks to that orchid.

I know I can use alchohol for my orchids, but I am clueless on how to safely remove them from the Ceph. And is there anything I need to do for the roots? Any help would be greatly appreciated on how to remove these pests.

Thanks in advance!!

I have moved-on from using Ortho Orthenex to Green Light Neem II -- particularly for my Cephalotus plants (which grow outside for the most part) -- for occasional pest problems. The premixed neem oil solution (with pyrethrins) seems to have little effect on the plants themselves -- Orthenex being a bit more harsh (though still great for Sarracenia and Dionaea). Spray it on the foliage and surrounding soil and apply directly by cotton swab to any obviously-infested areas early in the morning or at dusk to avoid any burning of the foliage . . .

RE:

BigBella,
Thank you so much for help. I have been frantic since I discovered this. I'm not even sure if it has mealybugs yet... But I don't know how it couldn't be since its been sitting directly beside the infected chid for weeks. So would it be safe to go ahead and apply the Garden Light Neem II regardless? And is this a product I can pick up at my local home improvement store? And is it safe to use in an indoor setting?

Thanks again, BigBella. You have always been there to help out even when I know how ignorant my questions may be to more experienced enthusiasts.

Garden-Safe brand looks to be a neem oil solution as well and should be OK, though I generally only recommend brands with which I have had direct experience; also, many so-called "natural remedies" are simply cynical marketing ploys to get things off the shelves. Make sure that the herbicide treatment also contains pyrethrins, as does Neem II . . .

Back