User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here from Indiana (or a bordering state)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indianapolis

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

My method is rather cumbersome, but I don't like sticking my plants in the fridge.

I use the insulated garage method for all of my sarrs, filiformis, and vfts. I simply let my pots stay outside as long as possible until the point where average highs/lows go below 40 high/30 low. Usually around early Nov? I will put my pots outside any chance I can get during the winter. As long as temps get just above freezing I will stick them outside for the day and move them back during the night. It is alot of work moving them back and forth into the garage but not that bad. I make sure to clip off most pitchers (depends based on species) prior to placing in the garage.

I also cut way back on watering. Just enough to be faintly moist almost on the dry side and I check for mold once a week. But I haven't had to spray for mold yet. My guess is because I try to get them as much fresh air as possible, I keep the soil dryer than during the growing season, and the garage is a pretty dry place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro,
    Any idea what facilities he has? It doesn't do us any good to recommend approaches that require a garage if he doesn't have one ... (or basement or ...).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all,

Sorry for the tardy reply, only just got back from a small jaunt.

Thanks for the info posted.

Dash, actually this is not the same guy you are thinking of, it is a guy I know through my other hobby: snakes.

RL, I have not asked him for details of what he has available to him. Probably would be a good idea LOL. So much going on in my head I am not tracking well these days. I'll hit him with some questions and see if I can provide more details.

Thanks again all
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i'm in WI, in the general vicinity of the Twin Cities (MN). i would presume our winters are a little rougher than Indiana. i just use my garage. not insulated and has a couple of leaks. i stick them in there over thanksgiving weekend. take them out in April. i have a couple of mini-bogs and a couple of large, deep plastic trays filled with pots. not sure if the mini-bogs actually freeze solid all the way through, but I know at least the outer crust will stay frozen all winter. i lazily will usually leave water in the plastic trays, so the pots in it sit in an ice cube all winter. i haven't lost any plants, save for one winter, but I think it was some kind of microbial attack in early spring that wiped a bunch out. i don't think the cold hurts them. i kept a thermometer in there 2 winters ago. The coldest I saw it get was about 15F, which was during an arctic blast, when it was probably -30F outside. Otherwise, it hung around 20-25F all winter. Once it gets to be late Feb.-mid March, I will scoop some snow onto the plants. Usually by then things start to thaw out in the garage and dry out somewhat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I throw mine in the garage over winter. I live in IL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the same method used for VFT's? This is my first real winter and I don't really have a good place to put mine. I was thinking the unheated garage would get too cold. (St. Louis)

Right now I have mine inside under some lights. I was hoping a significantly shortened photoperoid would put them to sleep, but from some reading, it sounds like it won't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My garage is unheated. It won't get too cold. You do the same thing for VFTs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twigs View Post
    Is the same method used for VFT's? This is my first real winter and I don't really have a good place to put mine. I was thinking the unheated garage would get too cold. (St. Louis)
    It really depends on your garage. I tried keeping my VFTs with my Sarrs in the garage and many died. I now keep them (& my outside cephs) in a back basement room under lights all winter (typically gets down to mid to low 40's *F). My Sarrs normally spend at least Jan/Feb mostly frozen. They have handled it well - the VFTs - not so much... Now - both groups are happy.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast