User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here from Indiana (or a bordering state)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone here from Indiana (or a bordering state)?

Hey guys,

I need a bit of help for a friend.

Sent a couple Sarrs up to a buddy in Indiana cause I had spares and he wanted to give them a whirl. He has been growing them outside in pots since spring and they have been doing great for him.

Now that fall is approaching he is a bit concerned about temps and dormancy and stuff. I have advised him as I can but being in the deep South my winters are nothing like his.

So, anyone from the area that could offer up some advice on how you handle dormancy? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Indiana, would you like me to give you the details or directly to your friend? Havent lost a single plant yet using this method.

I'll remove my rhizomes from the bogs usually once the temps consistently drop below freezing at night to insure the plants are dormant.
    I soak some LFS in a RO water/Sulfur fungicide/Neem mix for a systemic fungicide for about 4-5 days. I label my ziplock bags and place individual rhizomes in the bag after rinsing them off and trimming off all dead pitchers. I leave a few healthy looking pitcher and all phyllodia on. The pitchers that I do leave on I try to rinse any dead carcasses out with some water then spray the same mix I let the LFS sit in inside the pitchers. I ring out any excess solution from the LFS and wrap the roots and rhizome p and place in the bag. If the pitchers do not fit I trim as much as I can without totally cutting off the pitcher. I place everything in the fridge until mid to late February depending on the temps.I check usually about twice a month to make sure no mold is actively growing. If I find some, I clean as much as I can off and apply the same above mix and add a light spray of Hydrogen peroxide. Come time to wake up I set aside the LFS that I used until the following dormancy or just get some more from Lowe's. I use this for Sarrs , VFTs and larger Drosera such as filiformis. The key is too keep an eye open for developing mold and catching it early.

I'll post a more informative post when I do this and include some pics. I've had a lot of questions about it so hopefully this can help out first timers here.
    Edit: Feel free to give him contact info, there's not a lot of us out here : /

Yann

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey French,

Would you mind shooting me the details in an email? Then I can forward it over to him. And if you want to include your contact info in the email and he can contact you if he wants more detail.

Many thanks, it is appreciated.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My method is a bit on the simple side. At this point in life the simpler the better.

After the 1st good frost things tend to slow down alot, although I don't bring the pots in until the temps. are going to stay 35ish or colder on a consitent basis. I water alot less if at all. I take the one pot out of the pond and let it dry down a bit more before bringing in indoors to the unheated garage. I should say that one room is just a few degrees warmer than outside and windowless. The other room has been insulated but not heated so it will stay 40-45ish even when it's 0 outdoors. I leave a tray under them and have them near a window for the first month or so. After that they get stuck where ever there is space and a little air movement. I'll put a bit of water in the pot when it's really dry to the touch but just enough to keep the moss from shriveling. Bring them out in the spring when you think about it. My D. filiformis like this as well.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If i only had a garage/basement or unheated room lol Would indeed save me a lot of hassle.

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Cleveland, which probably has similar temperatures to some places in Indiana. It is my first year putting sarracenia through dormancy, but I'm planning on keeping them near a sunny window in my unheated attic, in their pots from last season. I'm planning on repotting once things start warming up in the spring.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am from Indiana and I suspect about 2 miles from this guy. I recently got a buddy into this hobby and I know he has gotten 3 sarrs from you. 2 within this week. If it is the same guy, tell him I will talk to him at work on Monday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where abouts in IN are you Dash?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast