Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bog vs Watertable (or the like)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bog vs Watertable (or the like)

I am at a cross roads as to what to do further with my sarr collection. This past winter I built an above ground bog much like Pyro's design. It has worked out pretty well and the plants are growing nicely but one downside I think is the lack of control of the water table. If it rains good and hard everything is under water.

I've been to Brook's place a few times and he is kicking butt with the water tables. Right now I am at the point if I add anything to my collection it can't go in the bog I have currently. So the decision to make this winter is "do I build another bog or set up a water table?"

opinions and reasons why welcome.
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine above ground in large circular container. One larger container holds the smaller one. I then placed a faucet like opening that I open during heavy rain so that everything doesnt end up as you said underwater.

Long term though a water table would be the way to go.

Here's what I mean (back container)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a big fan of the self watering type pots. If you get a large windowsill pot it has about a gallon or so size reservoir at the bottom. The nice thing about these is that if you overwater, the reservoir has a runoff.

I have noticed that it also promotes massive root growth in sarracenia. The open air underneath the soil, I am sure allows plenty of oxygen to leak into the soil. And the open spaces allows the roots to spread out. I recently uprooted two judith hindles in my pot for a trade and the roots where 2 feet in length. They made thier way into the reservoir and spread throughout it. I wish I would have taken pics of the roots on them.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about. I have been searching hi and low for another pot of this type, but I cannot find one.
    This massive clump is only 2 plants, about 4 years old and hasn't flowered yet.