User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I grow Heliamphora outdoors here in Florida?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philcula View Post
    I would think that even in deep trays the water would still get hot, especially in a hot climate. Deep water doesn't cool roots, cool water cools roots...or so one would think.
    My patio is in a partially sunny condition. It doesn't heat up too much. I would make sure to protect the roots from heat.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm thinking of ordering either a Heliamphora Minor or a Heterodoxa-Minor from Wistuba.

BigBella, what are your suggestions?

Edit: Heterodoxa-Minor is not for sale right now. This leaves me with H. Minor.

Edit2: Wait, I found a pure Heterodoxa for sale for 20 Euros. The species they are selling comes from the Gran Sabana (and therefore warmer conditions). They are also calling this the easiest Heliamphora around.

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. You will NOT be able to grow Helis outdoors here (even if you live in north Florida). Hybrids won't do well either.

And you should move your Sarracenia out into full sun. They'll do better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyherrera View Post
    No. You will NOT be able to grow Helis outdoors here (even if you live in north Florida). Hybrids won't do well either.

And you should move your Sarracenia out into full sun. They'll do better.
    I know of people in the Ft. Lauderdale, Ocala, and Port St. Lucie areas who successfully grow a fair number of Heliamphora species on their back patios with some shading -- and simply see that their roots are kept cool in water-filled trays. One of my H. folliculata plants -- which sometimes has a reputation for being touchier than other species -- came from a friend there; and it was grown alongside a pool in a terrcacotta pot, beside some great-looking Darlingtonia . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. They must know something I don't. Myself and everyone I know who has has tried down here has had very limited to no success (even with the supposed heat-tolerant 'Tequila'). I suppose if you "ice" it down every night it's possible. I didn't factor that in because of the tedium involved.

This has always perplexed me as there are Heliamphora growing in the warmer lowland Gran Sabana.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyherrera View Post
    This has always perplexed me as there are Heliamphora growing in the warmer lowland Gran Sabana.
    So far as I know, all the growers simply have the pots in deep trays -- no icing or ice water involved (Darlingtonia included); and the notion of the Lowland Gran Sabana can be a bit misleading; it can still be upwards of 1500 meters (4921 feet) above sea level, and fairly cool . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the distance between me in South Florida and them in the central part of the state is just enough. But I wouldn't think so. The main difference in temps is that they get cooler winters. Other than that, it's just as hot there as it is here. If I tried growing Helis and Dars in shade and deep trays of water they would rot. Our nighttime temps are just too hot, like Trent pointed out.

Yes, I assumed there might be a catch to the Helis in the Gran Sabana. I watched Bill Scholl's footage of one of his Venezuelan trips and they were pointing out how much hotter it was in the Sabana than on the Tepuis. I suppose that is irrelevant if the nighttime temps in the Sabana significantly drop as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, it's now down to the following:

Heliamphora Minor for $35 (nursery is based in Oregon and plants are shipped potted with mature pitchers)

Heliamphora Heterdoxa for $25 (shipped bareroot from Wistuba in Europe)

Heliamphora Heterdoxa-Minor for $30 (unknown shipping from an American nursery with luke-warm reviews)

Wolfn's Growlist

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast